Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toho Extension Tube

Toho Extension Tube

I was wondering if any toho FC45X users have used an extension tube? Specifically, this one from sk grimes
    http://www.skgrimes.com/thisweek/2-28-04/index.htm

I was hoping to be able to use a Fujinon 450C and was looking into the possibility with the extension tube. I was curious as to how much it weighs and costs, but also how well a 450 performs. Is it a bit iffy on stability? should I just go buy another 4X5 (good excuse huh),LOL?

Thanks
    Scott

Toho Extension Tube

Yep. I had them make one for me (much smaller) to use with a 360mm Fujinon-A. This one looks to be for the 450 Fujinon-C, as you suspect - probably for a Copal #1.

This idea goes back to Kerry Thalmann, IIRC:

http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/toho.htm

The extension tube idea is about 2/3 down the page. Both Thalmann and Roy Harrington use Toho's and extension tubes for 450 Fujinon-Cs, IIRC. There are doubtless others too.

Reports are that it's quite stable and produces very sharp photographs. With a lens this long, on any camera, it's going to put a premium on your technique - where you place your tripod, how well you setup, lock down, and shield the camera from wind, etc. So clearly, YMMV.

Bruce Watson

Toho Extension Tube

I have the Wista (Linhof-type) tube set and it works pretty well. I often use it with the 360/5.5 Tele-Arton, which doesn't really require the extra extension on my Tech V, but it does move the Copal 3 shutter away from the front standard and makes it easier to access the controls, and since it's a tele lens anyway, a little more offset doesn't make much of a difference in apply tilts and swings, since the nodal point of the lens isn't near the shutter anyway.

It comes with 3 tubes and 3 mount rings for Copal 0, 1, and 3, and they can be drilled out for other sizes.

http://www.wista.co.jp/show/acces/acce2.html

Toho Extension Tube

I should have stated--I haven't used the Wista tube set on the Toho.

Looking now at Kerry's article on the Toho and the picture of the way that Linhof boards fit the Toho, I'm not sure the extension lensboard will work on the Toho.

Octogenarian

Toho Extension Tube

Hi Scott,

I use my Fuji 450C with a 34mm. extension tube and lensboard that is made by Ebony. The tube can be removed by unscrewing it, and the assembly is then capable of being used as a flat lensboard. I purchased both the lens and lensboard from Jim, at Midwest Photo Exchange (www.mpex.com).

It works like a charm on all of my cameras that use Linhof Tech type lensboards. The Toho camera, with the extension tube that fits it's lensboard, should also work very nicely. Just make certain that you will have a total of, at least, 450mm. bellows extension after you add the extension tube.

As far as the Fuji 450C, it's a great lens. Sharp and bright enough to focus outdoors in daylight, even at the f12.5 maximum aperature. Including the extension tube, the lens is lighter weight and more compact than the Fuji 400T (tele) that I formerly used as my long lens.

Toho Extension Tube

Nothing wrong with the Fuji 450C, I was using mine yesterday with my Walker (no extension tube necessary, just base front forward tilt+center front rear tilt). One of its outstanding features is low weight/bulk, so that it doesn't tax the fully extended camera as much as, say, the G-Claron 355 does.

Dave Karp

Toho Extension Tube

The Fuji 450 C is one of my favorites. Sometimes, you just cannot walk close enough to your subject. The 450 gives you some valuable extra reach. The 450 C is lightweight and very sharp.

CXC: I was hoping to meet you at Mare Island and check out your Walker. Can't make it, but perhaps some other time. Glad you are now using your 450 with the Walker! Have fun out there.

Toho Extension Tube

I have one of Steve Grimes extention tubes for my 450C on my Toho. Mine was made before he had a "standard"

version. So it's shorter, just 3 inches long and hasn't a removable or multi-level capability. It's light

weight and works quite well.

Roy

Toho Extension Tube

Scott, I had Grimes make a 4 1/2 inch extension tube for my Toho and the 450 C. I am also able to use the extension tube with my 150 sironar-s for some macro shots. I have a problem with a small light leak somewhere in the process but don't think it has anything to do with the tube (it doesn't leak light when using the 150). Otherwise, I'm very happy with the set-up. It took quite awhile for them to get the tube to me - approximately 6 weeks - which may have been due to my ordering around the holiday period.

Toho Extension Tube

I appreciate all the responses, thanks a lot!
    Don, sounds like you have EXACTLY what I was asking about. I was wondering if it would be possible to tell me how much they charged for the tube and also how much it weighs. Thanks in advance