Thread: leaving a printer/scanner on 24-8

leaving a printer/scanner on 24-8

Any thought on leaving an Epson 2200 on 24-7 versus turning it on and off as needed? Am I "burning" anything out by just leaving it on, or drawing significant power?

Also, I know that leaving a flatbed scanner on for too long increases the noise in my scans. But I also want it to "warm up." Any strategies for the optimal timing for having an Epson 3200 on?

I don't know about optimal times for scanner / printer warm-ups but one thing about leaving things on all the time - the warmer / hotter they are, the better they are at attracting dust which I wouldn't have thought was the best idea for a scanner....

Just think of a TV set and the amount of dust that attracts on the back and screen - maybe static for the screen but it's heat out of the rear vents that doesn't help (is it something to do with ionising the air or creating a microclimate of drier air which attracts dust?)

I'd have thought a warm-up time of 15-30 mins should be sufficient for most things - don't monitors take about 30 mins to reach colour stability and there's generally more info about for these? Why not switch everything on at the same time and wait for 30 mins of ordinary pc use before scanning?

I killed an epson 890 by leaving it on. According to Epson, when you turn off the printer it caps the print heads to keep them from drying out. With my 890, leaving it on caused a clog to form on one of the heads and it couldn't be cleared, at least not with any method that wouldn't have voided the warranty. So I'd suggest turning the printer off when you're done with it.

-m

Sorry, I meant 24-7, not 24-8. But today we changed over to Daylight Savings Time (in the USA) so maybe I should have said 25-7. And it was Leap Year too...

I'd say turn it off when not in use, to0. Plus, it's good to put the paper away, as well, I think.

As to the 8 thing, I just thought you had switched to larger-format weeks. ;-)

I can't comment on the printer, as I'm not much of a printer buff. I have an HP DeskJet 832c, which handles my usual computer printouts, and has been on continuously since its purchase over three years ago. Never had a problem.

The lifespan of a microprocessor is measured in on/off cycles. My computers are left on 24/7/52 without a problem. Aside from reboots and power failures, I have a machine that's been running constantly for 4 years.

Most professional electronics - whether it be computers, video equipment, etc., are left on at least during the 5-day work week.

Epson will tell you to turn the printer off when not in use. They say that leaving it on tends to cause the inks to dry up. Cone suggests that you put a couple drops of Windex on the ink pad each time you turn the printer off, which is what I do. The heads rest on that pad and I believe the purpose of the Windex is to assist in keeping the heads clean.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

That's really what we don't need to keep the CO2 level on our atmosphere down, letting everything turned on!!

Jacques

You will definitely have problems leaving an Epson printer on all of the time. The heads will dry up if they aren't used. The heads are sealed in a capping station when powered down. An HP printer is a different animal. The heads of the Epson are part of the printer so if they clog there is a good chance that the printer will be trash. The heads of an HP printer are part of the ink cartridge. If those heads clog you just go out and buy a new cartridge.

Do you leave your water running all the time................?
    Turn off all your equipment unless you need it to do something for you!
    Please conserve!