Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Ritter 14x20 camera

Re: Ritter 14x20 camera

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    You need a vac in the contact print frame for alt? Why? Does the paper crinkle? Interesting. I would think the pressure on the backboard would flatten it out like any other paper, but I have no concept of alt printing.

I also build my own, $100-$300 investment is all it takes to build a 14x17 camera if you're handy. (I when to link my YouTube video and realized I never posted it because I've been putting off scanning the 14x17 negs and sticking them.... Have to get on that...)
    Most decently sized UV plateburners/ exposure units have them - guarantees good contact throughout - no point in risking tens of dollars of materials on the chance that there are areas of less than perfect contact. All coated materials tend to curl in one way or another, and sheet films over 8x10 become exponentially harder to hold in perfect contact with a couple of springy metal strips.

100-300 might get you something, but I'd rather have a camera with some proper movements, bellows etc. Holders alone will be over $500 each. The actual camera itself is relatively simple, especially if you know some skilled machinists who like a challenge - I'm currently plotting a 10x12 based around some sort of monorail design - possibly using Devere/MPP/Linhof parts depending on what's cheapest. Probably a 250mm WF Ektar or similar on the front.

I'd looked into making an 18x22 horizontal only, but the size of the thing & the subsequent weight were major factors in putting that idea to rest for a long time.

I'd rather have a solution that gives me the camera I want, than a sequence of compromises that cost far more in the long run.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

I'm working on my 3rd 14 x 17 camera build for a customer. This one will be a little different. Stay tuned. About as big as I want to go.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    You need a vac in the contact print frame for alt? Why? Does the paper crinkle? Interesting. I would think the pressure on the backboard would flatten it out like any other paper, but I have no concept of alt printing.

I also build my own, $100-$300 investment is all it takes to build a 14x17 camera if you're handy. (I when to link my YouTube video and realized I never posted it because I've been putting off scanning the 14x17 negs and sticking them.... Have to get on that...)
    Stone, do you mind sharing plans? I am not super handy, but i like dorking with with stuff, when i could (and of course how the hell you got ground glass sorted out?!)

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    Stone, do you mind sharing plans? I am not super handy, but i like dorking with with stuff, when i could (and of course how the hell you got ground glass sorted out?!)
    Your wish is my command...

Honestly, thanks for forcing me to finally scan the darn film, I had made a video this summer, but kind of slacked on scanning the film after I developed it, so I did that tonight!

Here's the video!

https://youtu.be/NW4dhOJVfzk