Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gandolfi 4x5 Variant

Gandolfi 4x5 Variant

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a Variant as my first LF and would very much like to hear the opinions of those who use this camera. There are 2 models available to me that are almost new--a Level Ia, with 485mm bellows, or a Level III. While I have seen the difference in the specs of the two, since I am new to the medium, I would benefit from an explanation that a college photo major can understand. Thanks!

Cindy

Gandolfi 4x5 Variant

Cindy:

I have seen Variants, but I don't use one. They are lovely cameras and it may be the right camera for you. But I would offer a general word for someone selecting their first camera. Choose something moderately priced with balanced specs that is easy to sell. It probably won't be your last camera.

For example, bellows length is a spec that many people obsess over. If you know you are going to shoot a Nikon or Fuji 450mm lens, then 485mm of bellows is wonderful. But if you start with a 150-210mm lens, and discover that your own vision gravitates towards wide views, those bellows may make life with a 75mm lens difficult. And believe me, making sharp images with almost 500mm of bellows in the wind is difficult, requiring significant investment in a tripod, head and usually some ancilary support for the camera.

To get the best advice from this forum, it would help to know what type of photography you envision. For example, most people use far less tilts and swings than even field cameras with modest specs allow. But if interior architecture is your thing, then extreme wide angle use with movements requires a particular set of specs.

Gandolfi 4x5 Variant

Cindy, if I were to win the lotto tomorrow, this is the camera I would buy.

Gandolfi 4x5 Variant

Cindy:

Everything Dan says is absolutely true.

But I think you need to translate these spec based statements into real shooting scenarios "that a college photo major can understand".

What does it mean to shoot 1/2 lifesize with a 300mm lens. It means you are taking a picture of something 8x10 inches in size located approximately 3 feet in front of the lens hanging on the front of a camera over 1.5 feet in length (and the distance from the film to the subject is less than the span of your outstretched arms). Now there may well be instances where you want to do that kind of shot. But the real question is why you need to do it that way, instead of using 300mm of bellows with a 200mm lens and being only 2 feet from the subject. I suggest, that unless you are doing LF photography of live rattlesnakes, there are few reasons you need to be 3 feet rather than 2 feet from the subject. Both allow plenty of room for fill lighting with reflectors, and the shorter lens solution gives less camera shake and more depth of field which will be scarce in either scenario.

I use a 300mm lens for probably 1/2 of my shots, and I live very comfortably with about 350mm of bellows. That allows me to photography something the size of a washing machine at about 10 feet. If I need to get closer, I just use a shorter lens. I certainly wouldn't trade another 100mm of bellows draw for the inability to work comfortably with wide angle lenses.

Gandolfi 4x5 Variant

hi Cindy,
    I purchased a Variant III 3 years ago and use it for landscape and portraiture.
    If you want to do studio work, you could find a view camera for far less money and buy a good lens with the difference. if you want to do landscape, the gandolfi is heavy but very versatile, the model III allows all the movements, back tilt swing rise&fall, front tilt, swing rise&fall. Keep in mind that you will not use all those movements most of time. backpacking such a heavy equipment is a real drawback in my opinion. You could find a very cheaper and lighter wood folding camera. anyway, this camera is very well built and a real great craftman work, until now I am very happy with it and never wanted to change it for anything else.
    If you are a beginner in LF, in my opinion it could be easier to have geared tilt, shift and swing. I think you could buy a cheap used view camera first and save money for good lenses, you will probably change later for another one but you will know what you need exactly,
    my two cents,
    hope that could help you
    All the best,
    Daniel

Octogenarian

Gandolfi 4x5 Variant

Hi Cindy Donatelli,

Please take this as a good natured comment. During the month of October, you have asked this forum about a Toyo A, a Horseman FA, a Gandolfi Level 1a, and a Gandolfi level 3. You have also advertised on the photo.net classified forum for a Canham DLC and an Ebony 45S. All of the cameras you have mentioned are outstanding cameras that any college photo major would be proud to own.

You are the only one who is capable of making the decision as to which camera to buy. So far, you have been offered a pile of excellent advice.I'll add my free advice to that pile (for what it's worth). Fit a camera and lens to your budget and make your decision, already. There is no such thing as the right, or wrong camera. Once you get hold of a large format camera that best fits your method of photographing, you'll know. Large format equipment retains it's value. You can sell, or trade it, if you don't like it. You can add lenses and accessories without worrying about the need to match up equipment from the same manufacturer, like you do with 35mm and medium format. In the mean time, you are wasting valuable time that could otherwise be spent burning film and learning to use your large format camera.

To answer your question: a lot of LF photographers would give their eye teeth to own either model Gandolfi you mention. They are the Rolls Royce of the large format camera world. Take a look at www.badgergraphic.com. Click on large format, then click cameras-Gandolfi. You will be able to see pictures of the various levels of the Gandolfi cameras that are available. You can compare features, as well as prices, for yourself. They are fine cameras.

Gandolfi 4x5 Variant

I hate to be negative but some Gandolfi cameras are made of MDF, if you want a wooden camera you want a wooden camera not MDF. I have used a Wista DX for a few years now, it's cherry wood and looks beautiful. I can also use my 65mm S/A with limited movements admitedly, but it fits and works. Gandolfi is a name with a great past but look at other options before making a decision and parting with your hard earned cash. Personally if I had a packet I'd but an Ebony, but only 'cos they look fantastic and are over engineered I'd still keep my Wista.

Octogenarian

Gandolfi 4x5 Variant

Hi Pete,

The Ebony line of cameras is equivalent to the Lexus line of automobiles, while Wista cameras are the Toyotas of the camera world. Both will get you to the grocery store. It all depends on the level of luxury you want while making the trip.

Some models of Gandolfi's are also made of walnut, and some of mahogany. MDF is resistant to warping, denting, and water. It is a composite of wood and resin. Good stuff in the hands of a Gandolfi master camera builder.

Gandolfi 4x5 Variant

Hi Eugene,

You can have the MDF, I'll stick to real wood. My post was only to make Cindy aware that an MDF camera is not a wooden camera and that Gandolfi use both, buyer beware!. If the stuff is that good why don't other camera makers use it? Walnut is a superb wood and it looks a heck of a lot better than MDF I am not anti Gandolfi but I do think that people should be made fully aware of the products on the market. How many MDF cameras do you posess?
    Pete

Gandolfi 4x5 Variant

As fart as I am aware Gandolfi has never made a secret of it - rather a selling point - as was pointed out, resistance to warping, warter, denting and also allows the possibility of machining in the design.

"Walnut is a superb wood and it looks a heck of a lot better than MDF" Looks a lot better - presumably your walnut camera takes better looking pictures as well?

The best camera I have ever owned (and still own) is my Phillips Compact II - uses a lot of plywood as I recall. Don't think there is a bit of Walnut (or ebony) on it?
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog