Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Great image of a guy up a phonepole with a 5X7 Top Handle Speedy on Shorpy today...

Re: Great image of a guy up a phonepole with a 5X7 Top Handle Speedy on Shorpy today.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    She started jogging when she was seventy years-old. That was twenty years ago. We don't know where the hell she is now.
    Simple: 20 x 365 x miles/day. Draw arc of probability given initial direction.

Re: Great image of a guy up a phonepole with a 5X7 Top Handle Speedy on Shorpy today.

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Simple: 20 x 365 x miles/day. Draw arc of probability given initial direction.
    I did that as well as a parametric and it appears she is in the arc of missing flight 370. Mom was not 100% sweet and light.

Exactly where I was going with that – i.e., the missing flight, not the sweet & light.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I am very proud to say my step-daughter, her husband and their 2 teenage boys, are campers, mountain climbers and runners. My daughter also controls the video games and TV watching. The boys are very polite teenagers.

I think they are all exceptional, but of course I would.

Her husband is suspiciously like me...
    You done learned her GOOD.

Quote Originally Posted by jbenedict View Post
    No hardhat, no belt, no boots, no cleats...

Sure would like one of those top handle 5x7 Speeds. If I can't find one, I might have to make one. Don't know where I would find a 5x7 FP shutter so it might have to be a "Crown Graphic".
    Several years ago I and many other AT&T managers classified as management were trained very badly as telephone installers in anticipation of a strike that fortunately didn't happen. I went to Southwest Bell climbing school, took the accelerated course. No belt is a very bad idea indeed. Cleats aren't needed on stepped poles.

There's a story, possibly true, that a few weeks after I went to Austin at vast expense an unfortunate trainee fell off a pole and was badly hurt. True or not, climbing school was cancelled for those who hadn't taken it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Several years ago I and many other AT&T managers classified as management were trained very badly as telephone installers in anticipation of a strike that fortunately didn't happen. I went to Southwest Bell climbing school, took the accelerated course. No belt is a very bad idea indeed. Cleats aren't needed on stepped poles.

There's a story, possibly true, that a few weeks after I went to Austin at vast expense an unfortunate trainee fell off a pole and was badly hurt. True or not, climbing school was cancelled for those who hadn't taken it yet.

There were many new houses being built in the community where I lived as a kid in the early 60s. The gray-drab trucks of Pacific NW Bell made almost weekly visits somewhere near my house. For an 8 year old, watching the crews was fascinating. As I remember it up here in Washington State, the steps began 12-15' above the ground so the crews had to use cleats to get from the ground to the steps. Agree very much that the lack of a climbing belt was a very bad idea.

About 45 years ago I saw a lineman climb a pole with the belt (which was fascinating to watch). He only went maybe 8 feet up and lost his grip and slid down. The skin all along his arm was badly scraped off by the creosoted pole and it was pretty gross. It still makes my skin crawl at the thought of it, and I can take quite a bit after several years in EMS.

As a kid in the fifties, we were discouraged by the steps first being too high to reach, and then when we managed to stand on boxes to get on, the steps were too far apart. "You must be this tall to climb this pole"

In retrospect it was a good thing. Instead we fell out of trees.

About belts:
    When I bought my house in '79, there was a group of large (18" diameter at the base) alders that were endangering my neighbors' house (one had already fallen onto their roof during the one month between the day of the sale and when I actually moved in). So I called in the pro's to take some of them down. Of course, they used spikes and belts to climb them and take them down with multiple cuts starting near the top. The group lead was talking to me as they worked, telling me how unpredictable alders were, when one of the cutters near the top started a cut and the tree split down the middle, the other half falling away. The belt pulled his chest up against the remaining half and nearly crushed him. He came down and tried to walk, but his rubber legs wouldn't hear of it. The lead said that's called a "barber-pole" (don't know how that's related), so it happens frequently enough that it was given a name.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    http://www.shorpy.com/node/17880?size=_original#caption

Our current world is run by a generation of total life experience in front of Xbox with a joystick that thinks going out of the house is unsafe. I love seeing stuff like this (and have done my share of heroic foolishness) ((and survived)).
    Boy not in my family. The kids were into video games but that was a welcome respite from the extreme sports they all attempted putting their lives in danger and nearly giving me a heart attack on numerous occasions for years.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"