Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: g-claron 210mm

g-claron 210mm

I'd like recommendations for another 210mm lense to replace my g-claron 210mm. Though the lense covers 8 x 10, I cannot live with the limited movements any longer. Too many dark corners, from falloff, which is hard to notice in low light. Also because of the smaller glass, the f64 limits me also and I know larger glass generally has smaller f-stops.

I'd appreciate recommendations from those who know more about lenses than me. If you have one for sale email off post.

Octogenarian

g-claron 210mm

Hi Phil,

I probably don't know more about lenses than you, but I do know that a 210 is is the "normal" lens for the 5x7 format. I am assuming from your description that you are looking for a 210, to use on the 8x10 format, with a larger image circle and more movement capability than your present 210 G-Claron.

If you want to avoid the larger, heavier wide angle 210's, my first recommendation would be to use a slightly longer lens, like the Fuji 240A. However, if it must be a 210, the Schneider Super Symmar HM or the Rodenstock APO-Sironar W will do the job.

If this is a WTB advertisment, I cannot help you.

Photo Dilettante Donald Brewster's Avatar

g-claron 210mm

You might try to find a 210mm Angulon.

g-claron 210mm

I'm not a lens expert but I don't recall ever hearing of a correlation between larger glass and smaller F stops. The opposite is generally true, ie lenses with larger glass often have larger maximum apertures, e.g. F5.6 instead of the F9 on your G Claron. Possibly you're confusing larger apertures with smaller apertures. F64 is the smallest aperture on your lens, F9 is the largest. I can see that F9 might be limiting in the low light you mention but I don't offhand see how having a smallest f stop of F64 would limit you.

I'm also a little surprised that you find the 210 G Claron that limiting in room for movements, though you don't say what kind of photography you do. FWIW I used a 210 G Claron for several years on an 8x10 camera and don't ever recall getting dark corners or needing more room for movements than I could get. Of course you may be doing work that is more demanding in terms of movements than I do. My typical photographs are landscape and exterior architecture. The design of the G Claron line of lenses is such that the more you stop down the wider the usable image circle becomes. In situations where you need more room for movements than you're getting with the G Claron, are you stopping down to F45 or F64? If not you might try that before spending the kind of money that a 210mm lens covering 8x10 with a lot of room for movements and an aperture wider than F9 is likely to cost. .
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

g-claron 210mm

Check out these threads - extensive discussion

FWIW - if you can find one nay more, a Kowa Graphic 210 will do just what you want (along witht he similarish Comoputar 210mm) . It's actually a 6.8 lens onces it's in the shutter, with around 380/90mm of coverage.

Outside of the 210mm Angulon (not Super Angulon), the G Claron, 8 1/4" WA Dagor f9 and a few other funkier/oddball lneses, you move up in both physical size of lens and especially price quite dramatically

http://largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/498719.html

http://largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/499535.html

http://largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/32911.html
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

g-claron 210mm

Although not in a shutter, my eskefot-Ultragon 210mm f8 lens covers 8x10 beautifully and there is alot of room for movement especially if you stop down to f64..

g-claron 210mm

I had exactly the same problem and since I was happy with the 210 I purchased a 240 G Claron. The 210 sits collecting dust now.

g-claron 210mm

Brian, I wish the lense would stop down smaller than f64 to f90 or smaller!

g-claron 210mm

Phil, wouldn'd a nice pinhole suit you as well? They're lighter, too.

Cheers,

Dan

Octogenarian

g-claron 210mm

Phil, if you can handle a huge lens, the Schneider f8 210 Super Angulon closes down to f90. However, the Fujinon f9 240A also closes down to f90 and is much smaller and lighter weight. Not much difference between the images from a 210 and a 240, from my experience with both focal lengths.