Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: camera suggestion for portrait, still life and lens.

Re: camera suggestion for portrait, still life and lens.

For still life, 135mm, and for macro lots of bellows!

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    I'd suggest a Calumet 400 series(with a longer rail) or Graphic View 1 or 2, along with a 210mm convertible lens from Schneider (so you'll have a shorter focal length option for still life), in a good, working shutter would be a capable kit to look for.
    +1

A lot of 4x5 monorails are sold with 210mm lenses, film holders, accessories, so you can get an even better deal bundled. My Sinar P came with a Schneider Symmar 210 F/5.6 and a case.

Richard Johnson

Look for a bundle that has a lower price and good, clean equipment but don't worry too much about the brand. Once you've shot a while and understand the design decisions and compromises then you may develop some preferences. KEH and MPEX are reliable used dealers - just be sure to get the view camera expert on the phone should you call them... the regular salespeople have no experience with this stuff.

In general, the older designs, like the "coat hanger" Calumet or Orbit, are durable and perfectly usable... and you can find the cameras for $100 or less.

The systematic cameras with interchangeable parts allow you to build the camera out to have an extra long rail and bellows, or go with a wide angle bag bellows, or convert to a larger format, replace a broken part, etc. Even if you just get a basic Sinar F (or better yet, a Sinar F2) with a 12" rail, you can simply buy a 6" rail section when or if you may need it. Other brands that offer system cameras are Cambo, Toyo, Arca, Linhof, and more. There are also a lot of incompatibilities between certain lines and models so do your homework first. Cameras like the Sinar F2, Toyo G, and the later Cambos can be excellent bargains.

You're also going to want a more solid, heavier tripod than most people expect, especially once you start cantilevering the camera out over a subject, pointing the lens down. Other photographers, who tend to shoot level, can get away with far lighter support.

Thanks to your suggestion I'm doing my work and its 2 days that I'm looking around for info about the models... right now I m thinking that a toyo G could keep me happy for long long time. About the older model like CC 4XXX kodak master view ecc I have a lot of doubts about easy and speed of use.
    Maybe the best thing is spend more and get a Toyo G.
    So if one of you guy have a 210-240 lens or a toyo G (or something better) just let me know.

You can advertise in the for sale section that you are looking for a camera and lens after you have been here a month. Since you have joined last Dec. I would go ahead and post there what you are looking for and how much you are willing to spend.

The pros all used 210 f/5.6 lenses before they went digital so there is a glut of them out there and they sell cheap. A 240 will cost you more money and require more bellows extension for macro. A Toyo G is a great choice since you want to keep your costs down but of course it's a little more than the cameras that John was recommending.

Right now the best place to put your money is in film and a big, heavy, sturdy tripod like Richard wisely suggests. A Majestic tripod would be a great, inexpensive option.

but....but....but.....

mine can bend like a pretzal...all geared too

look how cool it looks ..it's right in the brochure

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    Except for architecture, camera "movements" are mostly unnecessary. A little tilt and rise is all that's needed for 99.99% of photography.

I just bought this one : http://www.ebay.com/itm/301210609925...torefresh=true

probably I'll need a extension rail.

I have a Manfrotto O55B and a Manfrotto 488 head, I will see if they are heavy enought for the Toyo G.

Now I just need : a lens, film older, and accessories for develoe the 4x5 films.

Richard Johnson

You could probably start with that tripod but it is undersized, you'll be a lot steadier with something larger.

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Thanks to your suggestion I'm doing my work and its 2 days that I'm looking around for info about the models... right now I m thinking that a toyo G could keep me happy for long long time. About the older model like CC 4XXX kodak master view ecc I have a lot of doubts about easy and speed of use.
    Maybe the best thing is spend more and get a Toyo G.
    So if one of you guy have a 210-240 lens or a toyo G (or something better) just let me know.
    Nice!
    What's with your issue about speed?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Looks like a nice sturdy camera to start with. I'm sure that it will serve you well. If it doesn't come with any lens boards, you'll need one or two to start with.

Now for my 2 cents worth. I don't do still lifes, but I do a lot of portrait work. I tend to use more soft focus effects with my portrait work than sharp focus and a smoother softer lens may not be what you're looking for with still lifes. Learning about soft focus type of lenses opens up a lot more possibilities for you and it's something you might want to consider. They also don't have to cost thousands of dollars (like the classic soft focus portrait lens does) either if you know what to loo for.

I think that the direction you are going in is the right one for just starting out and the lenses that people are suggesting are good choices. Do some searching and you should have no trouble coming up with one. I use my 210 MM Schneider Symmar on my 4 x 5 sometimes and it works very well. They are readily availble on the auction site and are very good lenses.

So Indio - you don't happen to live in Indio, CA do you? If you do, you're about a mile from me.