Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What information should (always/never) accompany image posts?

What information should (always/never) accompany image posts?

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Camera, film, lens, processing?
    Leica M9, first generation 35mm Summilux F:1.4 lens shot @1:4000th of a second.

I had to shoot at very high shutter speeds back then due to essential tremor, now defeated due to good medicine.

Are we good now?

Re: What information should (always/never) accompany image posts?

Camera, film, lens, processing?
    I do not know how we could make the same image in LF. I dearly hope I am not ostracized for posting a relevant example.

J

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Leica M9, first generation 35mm Summilux F:1.4 lens shot @1:4000th of a second.

I had to shoot at very high shutter speeds back then due to essential tremor, now defeated due to good medicine.

Are we good now?
    See the laughy face at the end of my sentence? That was supposed to obviate all of the following: It was pretty obvious the pic wasn't LF. I wasn't playing LF cop. You were the one stating, "I was, am, mainly a photojournalist so descriptions are usually necessary." It was a contextual joke*, bud.

Note to self: No more fooling around with Jac@.

See the laughy face at the end of my sentence? [...] It was a contextual joke*, bud.

Note to self: No more fooling around with Jac@.
    Sorry that I misread. Thanks for explaining. It is good to learn more about individuals.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I do not know how we could make the same image in LF. I dearly hope I am not ostracized for posting a relevant example.

J
    Actually, it's fairly easy. After all, press photographers did it for, what, at least five decades?

If I wasn't using my Super Graphic with the sports finder, I could even do that with my 8x10. Just a little setup and direction, and you're ready.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    Actually, it's fairly easy. After all, press photographers did it for, what, at least five decades?

If I wasn't using my Super Graphic with the sports finder, I could even do that with my 8x10. Just a little setup and direction, and you're ready.
    The reason I think it unlikely in LF is that it was exposed at 1/4000th of a second without the benefit of electronic flash or setting up: it was necessarily spontaneous.

But I admit that I regret so very many pictures made early in my career with small formats - all of which could have been LF.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    [...] And here I am, a master code monkey.
    Wish I were so I could disassemble a particular camera's firmware. That stuff is so foreign to me, an old C programmer. Very old.

I am one of the extreme types that post everything about the photograph on my website. This includes location data, GPS coordinates, sit data, camera and tripod configuration, film type, all printing data, all masking data, and most importantly, a narrative of my experience in creating the photograph. This year I expect to get around 130,000 hits on my website, but it could be much higher considering I have already 85,000 hits. The demographics of my website are both photographers and customers.

My time to maintain this website is minimal. I maintain a database of my work and each photograph has its own record with 152 data fields that is kept current starting in the field at the very spot where the photograph was taken right through final printing information in my darkroom. Periodically, I upload my database to my website and when a web browser request a page from my website, my PHP code accesses the database, gathers all applicable data and writes an HTML file, and then sends it to the browser. The only work on my part is to keep my database current and periodically upload it to my website. Any changes made will automatically be uploaded to the website. The database resides on both my iPad and on my iMac through iCloud.

Close to 100% of my customers are NOT photographers or artist. My customers love story, and they love to hear my voice through my narratives. It riches their experience of buying my art. They love to share my stores with their friends as they show off their new art that they have just acquired. I have many emails from my customers stating how much fun it was to use the GPS coordinates and actually hike to the very spot where the photograph was taken.

I challenge and encourage other photographers to go the very places where I have taken my photographs and use all technical information provided on my website to replicate my work. However, I am confident they would be hard pressed to replicate my work because it is so much more than just the location and the craft. Perhaps you have heard of it. Its called art.