Thread: LF Workshop in Ireland, March 22 - April 1

LF Workshop in Ireland, March 22 - April 1

Folks,

Ron Rosenstock and I are offering a Large Format workshop in Ireland next spring, March 22 through April 1, 2005. March is an excellent time of year to visit Ireland; the crowds of summer are not yet there, and the weather is often nice. The trees will be in leaf, and the spring lambs will have been born.

This a bit different from Ron’s normal photo tours in that it will be specifically for LF shooters and there will be some workshop-oriented education aspects that are not part of a normal photo tour. The main focus will be on field shooting techniques to improve your success when the conditions are less than ideal. This will be a shooting workshop, so all of the time will be spent in the field, rather than in a classroom. Experienced shooters will be free to spend the days making images, and Ron and I will be on hand for anyone who may need some help.

The evenings will give us some time to discuss many topics related to LF photography, as well as any general photography issues that come up. This will be done in an informal manner with a round-table approach, so everyone in the group will be able to participate, and the entire group will benefit from the knowledge and experience of each participant. The workshop will be limited to 10 participants, so there will be ample time over the course of the workshop to get to know everyone in the group quite well.

The cost of the workshop will be $1995, including ground transportation, lodging, breakfasts and dinners, and other normal trip expenses. Lunches and dinner on the last evening are not included. Flights at that time of year typically run about $400-500 from the East Coast. Currently, USAir, Continental, and Aer Lingus all fly to Shannon, Ireland, where Ron and I will be waiting to meet the planes.

For more information, please follow the links below:

www.mutmansky.com/workshops.html

www.ronrosenstock.com/ireland.htm

You can also email me or Ron.

Sincerely,

Michael Mutmansky
    michael@mutmansky.com

You guys do this every year?
    "I meant what I said, not what you heard"--Jflavell

John,

This is my first time organizing a workshop with Ron.

I was on a tour with him a few years ago, and again on one this fall (there's a post in the archives regarding that one). While I was on the tour, I discussed the possibility with him, and he was enthusiastic, so we decide to see if there was enough intrest to make it happen.

Ron has been running photography tours in Ireland for about 30 years now, and typically runs about 4 per year over there. I believe this is the first time he has tried to make one specifically for LF photography.

We are very interested in knowing if someone is thinking about the workshop, because it will help us gauge the potential success. If people are interested, but cannot make the schedule this year, please email me or Ron, and we will try to keep that in mind as future workshops are planned.

---Michael

I attended Ron's Ireland tour just a few weeks ago and can heartily recommend it to anyone interested in photographing Ireland. Ron is a wonderful host, he's owned a house and run photography tours in Ireland (as well as Morocco, Tuscany, Peru and other places) for about 30 years. And as anyone who reads View Camera magazine knows, Ron is an accomplished large format photographer with three books, including one on Ireland, to his credit. He knows great locations, some of which you might find on your own but many of which you wouldn't. We probably visited on average about five different sites every day, ranging from seaside landscapes to forests to ancient abbeys and ruins. Everything is very well organized, no wasted time, no dawdling around, very minimal hiking. The accomodations are excellent, the food served for breakfast and dinner (cooked and served in Ron's house by his local cook) is excellent, Ron is a knowledgeable large format photographer and a great guy to boot. I've attended many photogrpahy workshops and tours, this was the best of them IMHO.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Brian,

It may have seemed that we shot at five places a day, but we actually shot at about 3 per day except for two days, where we shot at 4 and 5.

Typically, Ron tries to spend a substantial amount of time at two places per day, and will often throw in another small site or so if it is on the way. This gives us plenty of time to shoot at a location, which is ideal for LF shooters, because we work much more slowly than the average photographer.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of your images from the last trip. I'll be posting some images of my own on the website shortly.

---Michael

Folks,

I wanted to make one last reminder about the workshop this spring in Ireland.

Due to the current exchange rate, this is an excellent opportunity for an EU or GB based photographer to participate in the workshop, as the cost is based in US currency.

Because the majority of the cost for the workshop (other than lunches and incidentals) is included in the price, and the price has not increased with the exchange rate, it actually ends up being about the least expensive way for US citizens to enjoy a trip to Ireland right now.

Please browse through the information provided on my website and on the links I have from my site to Ron's site and to the Strabo Tours site. If you are interested, please email me.

Sincerely,

Michael Mutmansky