Thread: Gitzo CF Legs Slipping

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

Gitzo CF Legs Slipping

Hey gang,

I have a Gitzo Mountaineer model G1348 mkII. I've had slippage problems with the legs in the past, and roughing up the inside of the fiber sleeve has solved all of the other leg slippage problems except for one last remaining leg section.

I've searched and hunted for a solution but haven't really found one. I am ready to order replacement bushings and fiber sleeves from the UK at a cost of about $80. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas or has run across this before. This tripod has served me well for about 15 years, but it's really starting to show its age.

Thanks!

Re: Gitzo CF Legs Slipping

I wonder whether the legs have shrunk at all, i don't know what resin is used to lay up those tubes.....?
    Just a thought. If the legs have shrunk in diameter, perhaps a layer of tape on the outside of the bushing as a shim ?
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

Tracy,

I did exactly as you suggested a few days ago...but instead of on the outside of the bushing, I put the tape on the inside of the bushing. I have ordered new bushings from the UK. Until then the tape is functioning miraculously well. I do worry about adhesive gumming up the works, so I am looking forward to getting them next week. Thanks for the thoughts. You were definitely on the right track.

As for the shrinking, I am worried about the complete opposite. I have had the tripod submerged in salt water (hyper-saline in fact...in Utah's Great Salt Lake), several numerous times. I *ALWAYS* rinse out the tripod with fresh water several times, even disassembling it down to the bare components when I feel that I'm not getting all of the salt water out. This was after I forgot to rinse out the lower most leg sections just *ONE TIME*. That one time made the carbon fiber swell up so much that the lower leg extension will no longer slide out of the next higher piece. Salt + Carbon Fiber = DISASTER.

Quote Originally Posted by michael slade View Post
    I have ordered new bushings from the UK.
    That surprised me. I thought Gitzo tripods were made in Italy so that would be the source of your bushings.