Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: recommendations for cheap or inexspensive lenses around 200-240mm

Re: recommendations for cheap or inexspensive lenses around 200-240mm

There are lots of good choices. I had a 203 Ektar for a number of years. It was a fine performer. Adapting filters was a bit of a pain, and the shutter wasn't as good as other types. Given what you can get a good modern plasmat for, I personally wouldn't choose the Ektar unless small size was really important, such as for multi-day back-packing. On the wide end, I had an 90mm F8 for about ten years. Recently I switched to a F6.8, and at that focal length, the added brightness when focusing was very welcome. It's not as important for longer lenses. The 90 F5.6 lenses are very good, but they are a lot bigger. In addition to those mentioned, Fuji makes a number of fine lenses.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Re: recommendations for cheap or inexspensive lenses around 200-240mm

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kodak-Ektar-...-/251547601385
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kodak-Ektar-...-/191195400548

Look and you will find. A little patience will help too, the market for used lenses is thin.
    A good example of the two different versions, the US in a Supermatic and the UK made version in a Prontor SVS (#0 Compur/Copal compatible) shutter. My experience is that the coatings of the UK version had been significantly improved in the later versions of the 203mm Ektar in the Prontor or Compur.

Both are priced high compared to the typical prices they sell for on Ebay or through some dealers.

Ian

recommendations for cheap or inexspensive lenses around 200-240mm

Fujinon SW, W, C and A series are all good depending on the focal length required. 90 SW, 125 W, 180 A, 240 A, 300 C, 450 C are all fine choices. On my Chamonix 45F1 I find I use the slightly wide 125mm more than the 90mm lens, 180mm more than 150mm, 300mm some and the 450mm hardly at all. Many of the A and C lenses can also cover 8x10 so that makes them upwardly compatible in case you want to upgrade. But they are not larger than many of the 4x5 only alternatives. Small filter sizes and modern multi coating are found for most of these lenses.
    Last edited by angusparker; 6-Jun-2014 at 21:50. Reason: extra text