Thread: Repromaster for 6x15

Repromaster for 6x15

Having just purchased a 6x15 inch camera I'm thinking what lenses to use for landscape.

I understand that the 213mm repromaster with its 19" image circle will cover with slight room for movement, but I believe this was a different design to the other repromasters. Can anyone tell me what the image circle for the 240mm repromaster is, or at least if it will cover the 6x15 format.

Many thanks
    Bruce

Re: Repromaster for 6x15

Quote Originally Posted by brucep View Post
    Having just purchased a 6x15 inch camera I'm thinking what lenses to use for landscape.

I understand that the 213mm repromaster with its 19" image circle will cover with slight room for movement, but I believe this was a different design to the other repromasters. Can anyone tell me what the image circle for the 240mm repromaster is, or at least if it will cover the 6x15 format.

Many thanks
    Bruce
    Are you sure that the 19" number of the 213mm is for infinity (which you need for landscapes) and not for 1:1?! That would be about 97-98° coverage, not really anything a process lens like a repromaster was built for.

Bruce, why do you believe that the 213 Repromaster covers 19"? I ask because as I calculate it, a 213 mm that covers 19" at infinity covers ~ 97 degrees. This is enormous coverage for a process lens. As far as I know no other process lens comes close.

Could y'r 19" figure have been reported for 1:1? This is how process lenses' coverage is usually reported. That would mean the lens covers a little under 60 degrees, and there are process lenses that cover at least that much.

That Repromasters (also badged Ultragon, Intergon, and Helioprint sell for, relatively, pennies is a hint that they're not extreme wide angle wonder lenses.

Arne, you have an evil skeptical mind. And you posted while I was typing.
    Last edited by Dan Fromm; 29-May-2014 at 06:56. Reason: reply to Prof. Dr. Croell

Well, I don't know where my response went, so sorry if 2 posts appear.

I understand that the 213mm repromaster covered 18x24 at 1:1, and it is generally claimed to be suitable for 11x14 at infinity. Some people claim it covers 7x17.

I also believe that it has a 100 degree angle of coverage, but can't find where I read that. This is a different design to the other repromasters (again, from what I remember reading somewhere).

A short Google search shows me that this coverage number seems to be based on an old claim of an ebay seller, and several people report that it is about 1/2" short of covering 11x14". Since they can see that cutoff, they apparently mean the circle of illumination, which is not necessarily real coverage! I have a 135mm Repromaster and a 240mm Staeble Ultragon (= Repromaster) in my collection and they are certainly standard Plasmat-type process lenses; unfortunately I do not have a 213mm. Typically, the similar Schneider G-Clarons cover 80° when stopped down well (f/32 or smaller) for contact prints. I can accept a 100° illumination circle, but would have my doubts about any usable image information in those corners. But hopefully somebody with more ULF experience can step in here.