Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Printable compact large format camera system

Peter

Re: Printable compact large format camera system

Quote Originally Posted by hoffner View Post
    Not too long ago? 21 years ago.
    For a 21 year old, it's a lifetime. For a 61 year old like me, it seems like yesterday.

In other words - for a German like you, it takes more than 21 years to realize that a neighbouring country made of two nationalities have separated to two different countries? And it takes decades for a German like you to visit the Eastern part of Germany. Fair enough to know.

Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania are countries that I knew about long before they became again independent. As a kid I learned geography. Did you have lessons of geography in German schools?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Ok . . So what? "A rose by any other name . . "

Several years ago I had a problem with a predatory group, "Construct Data Publishing", purporting to be based in Brateslavia. I found that I had no legal recourse outside of getting a Czech lawyer involved. This problem was reported on this board and elsewhere.
    What has that group to do with this project of printable camera? What's your point?

Quote Originally Posted by toyotadesigner View Post
    For many people it is difficult to separate Czech Republic and Slovakia - not too long ago they used to be one single, undivided country ;-)

Even I have that problem - I never know which one is which, and I am a lot closer to both countries than you...
    I think our Czech members of this forum must be amused with your German geographical knowledge.

I merely express my caution at getting involved with this start-up in a country so far away. When these cameras become available, or when they license the 3-D printing file I will reconsider spending money with them . . .where ever they actually are operating from. That's pretty much it.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I merely express my caution at getting involved with this start-up in a country so far away.
    You did not express your caution because the project's country origin is far away from you but because - you had once been burnt by a completely different group in a different country. When asked about what the connection between these elements are you answered; " So what? "A rose by any other name . . "

Several years ago I had a problem with a predatory group, "Construct Data Publishing", purporting to be based in Brateslavia. I found that I had no legal recourse outside of getting a Czech lawyer involved. This problem was reported on this board and elsewhere.
    BTW, that group originated in Austria (another far away country for some of us) from where they later moved to Slovakia, after having legal issues in Austria.
    But the question remains - what this group and your experience with it, have to do with Peter Ivancak Photography website and its present announcement on this forum??

The fact that they are in Slovakia is a flag for me.

The people offering this new 3-D printed camera are probably on the level. The camera looks good, and I have an interest in it, but: Startt-up company from Eastern Europe = Red Flag for me.

What is your point?
    Let me make it clear to you, Drew. The website Peter Ivancak presented in his thread is not in Slovakia.
    He and his project obviously has nothing to do with your experience from Bratislava (Slovakia).
    What is more, Czech republic, where Peter Ivancak has its address is situated in Central Europe, together with other countries such as Germany, Austria, Poland, and others (some concepts of the Central Europe include Switzerland too). The political Eastern Block ended in that country 25 years ago.

Please, before you start to raise your red flags make sure you apply the minimum of honesty due to the OP.

My sincere apologies to all: This thread started out as aa discussion of discussion of a proposed new camera from a start up company in eastern Europe. I had no intention of stiring up this type of discord. Lets bring the thread back to photography.

Cheers to all.

Drew Bedo
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
    Unless I'm missing something here, the point of this camera seems to be that it's thin enough that you will be able to put just about any lens you want on it with the appropriate lens board/cone, no limitations at all. What's probably missing is a cheap focus helicoid, though you can buy one of those for $100 on Ebay, and be set for anything. My objective someday is to have a 47mm XL SA on a body like this one.

Me, I'm going to hold on an opinion on what it will cost to print it until someone actually KNOWS how much it costs to print it. :-)

If you want a nice camera with a 47XL SA, look for a Cambo wide. Much better than either this or the wanderlust. yes, more money, but it's worth it.