Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Printable compact large format camera system

Re: Printable compact large format camera system

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post

The fact that they are in Slovakia is a flag for me.
    The contact on their website is in Czech republic.

Quote Originally Posted by hoffner View Post
    The contact on their website is in Czech republic.
    Ok . . So what? "A rose by any other name . . "

My pint is that the Wanderlust folks are over here and subject to the legal system over here. They know that they face the potential for legal action from a lot of people if they act in bad faith.

Several years ago I had a problem with a predatory group, "Construct Data Publishing", purporting to be based in Brateslavia. I found that I had no legal recourse outside of getting a Czech lawyer involved. This problem was reported on this board and elsewhere.

The people offering this new 3-D printed camera are probably on the level. The camera looks good, and I have an interest in it, but: Startt-up company from Eastern Europe = Red Flag for me.

What is your point?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

"Several years ago I had a problem with a predatory group, "Construct Data Publishing", purporting to be based in Brateslavia. I found that I had no legal recourse outside of getting a Czech lawyer involved. This problem was reported on this board and elsewhere."
    I believe these are the friendly folks who keep mailing us contracts for a book on Trade Show Exhibitors. If so there are lots of case files in the US that have ruled their contracts null and void. But it still involves a court visit if one did not fully read the fine print on their contract. Their home office seems to move from country to country depending on who has sued them.

Designed for a lens that is no longer made and a film holder from a bankrupt company that is out of production? Since Schneider no longer makes the lens there can't be a lot of helicals for this lens out there. Who is going to make all the helicoids? And at what level of precision?

than you Bob. I am legally blind and the paperwork I filled out seemed to be a form confirming the my commercial information for a trade show I had a booth at.

I am sure that the contract language was not on the form that I filled out . . .and signed. The so-called fine print was pasted back into the contract they sent along with a demand for payment. Its over now, but once burned, twice shy.

I would like to see the 3-D printed camera project come to fruition. Whatever its current shortcomings, they can be fixed in the 3-d prototyping process.

In any case, I will wait.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

"leaglly blind"
    Would help explain it. The fine print is on the back side of the contract. They tint the paper and print the terms in small, tinted type. Almost looks like it isn't there.

I have so many lawyers in my family that I find it interesting to always read these things when we get them. Lots of them come in for two year phone book listings at one thousand nine hundred and ninety nine dollars a year for a two year term payable in advance, in full.

I find it interesting that they always spell this out rather then put the price in numerical form. I guess that is because the amount and terms blend into all the other contractual terms and you are more likely to miss seeing it before you sign then $1,999.00 would be.

But this should make you feel better:

http://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/cases...dba-fair-guide

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Several years ago I had a problem with a predatory group, "Construct Data Publishing", purporting to be based in Brateslavia. I found that I had no legal recourse outside of getting a Czech lawyer involved. This problem was reported on this board and elsewhere.
    Why would you need a Czech lawyer involved for a group based in Bratislava? They are two different countries. What's your point?

For many people it is difficult to separate Czech Republic and Slovakia - not too long ago they used to be one single, undivided country ;-)

Even I have that problem - I never know which one is which, and I am a lot closer to both countries than you...

Quote Originally Posted by toyotadesigner View Post
    For many people it is difficult to separate Czech Republic and Slovakia - not too long ago they used to be one single, undivided country ;-)

Even I have that problem - I never know which one is which, and I am a lot closer to both countries than you...
    Not too long ago? 21 years ago. How long does it take for a Spaniard to see those two different countries as different ones?

What is 21 years? BTW, I am German...

Guess what: I've never been in the 'new' German states (former East Germany) in my life - not even after the reunification. It was located behind the 'iron curtain', like Czechoslovakia. Far away. Very far away, almost out of reach. Texas was a lot closer for me. And so was Hong Kong, Singapore, Spain, etc., where I spent most of my life.

Would you be able - without the help from google - to point Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania? New countries as well, located in the former Soviet Union, also behind the 'iron curtain'.

I guess you would be able to name the countries that evolved from former Yugoslavia in less than a second...