Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Epson 3880 Paper Feed Problem

Epson 3880 Paper Feed Problem

For the most part, I love my 3880--to the point that I purchased a Jon Cone inkset for it. (Very nice, by the way, but not the subject of this query). The one problem I have is with 17x22 paper. It can take many tries to get that paper to feed correctly in the back manual loader. Is there a trick to this that I'm missing?
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Re: Epson 3880 Paper Feed Problem

I try to hold the paper at a higher angle and push it in gently when the grabbers try to acquire the paper.

It's very annoying since a sheet of paper at that size is not inexpensive, and it wastes a lot of sheets. And the printer itself was not cheap.

I think the printer design is flawed but use it anyway. If someone can recommend a better model, I'd love to hear about it.

There's also an issue where ink collects on the rollers and appears as a smudge on light-colored areas. This happens only on the largest sized prints (and is therefore the most annoying and costly). It has kept me from printing my high-key images.

Is there a good site for reliable reviews of printers ? If I replace mine, I'd like to feel more confident I'm not wasting money and time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post

Is there a good site for reliable reviews of printers ? If I replace mine, I'd like to feel more confident I'm not wasting money and time.
    If you plan to continue printing with QTR and an all gray ink set you will need an Epson rather than Canon or HP. Any of the larger Epson printers that use suction (48XX and 49XX and larger) would be an improvement on the 3880 in terms of paper feed. In terms of image quality you will not see much if any difference with an all gray ink set between newer and last generation Epson printers so if you could find an older professional model in good operating condition and low mileage on the used market that would be your best bet long term IMO. The larger printers also have much larger ink cartridges (100ml and 220ml) which means you spend less time refilling or replacing the cartridges.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

I usually have the opposite problem - feeding small (8 1/2 x 11) sheets in the rear manual feeder slot. Not so much with sheets larger than that. The paper weight can sometimes be the issue - heavier weight paper works better than light weight, and of course flatter paper (no edge curl) works better too. When using the rear manual feed slot, I typically hold onto the sheet at the top two corners until I feel it has been "grabbed" by the rollers and is pulled in. But again, I usually don't have any problems with the larger sizes (13x19 & 17x22) of Epson, Ilford or Moab paper.

The problem may be with the paper curving imperceptibly due to too much or too little humidity. I sometimes notice it in a 3800 with Epson Exhibition Fiber paper. Curving the edges of the paper away from the printing surface may help the paper to feed correctly.

I too have a problem with skewing of the paper in 17x22 inch size. This is from the top feeder. I have not used the feeder from the back, since I do not have the space to reach/work with it. I have been printing 16x20 inch images on the 17x22 inch stock, and matting the print to allow for the skew.

It would be nice to find a solution to this problem. No one seems to have come up with one.....

Quote Originally Posted by jon.oman View Post
    I too have a problem with skewing of the paper in 17x22 inch size. This is from the top feeder. I have not used the feeder from the back, since I do not have the space to reach/work with it. I have been printing 16x20 inch images on the 17x22 inch stock, and matting the print to allow for the skew.

It would be nice to find a solution to this problem. No one seems to have come up with one.....
    It lets you print? I get an error message and the print job will not complete until I get the paper fed properly.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    It lets you print? I get an error message and the print job will not complete until I get the paper fed properly.
    Yes, it does print. But, it prints skewed. If I truly wanted a 17x22 inch print, it would be a waste of time and paper.

I hold the paper by both edges, and use the right guide for parallel. When I insert the paper I hold onto it, keeping it parallel until the printer "grabs" it. This has greatly reduced feed errors and skew over inserting the paper and releasing it before it is taken by the printer.
    Peter Y.

I sometimes have this problem with the 4000.