Thread: 6x9 Mask for 4x5 Ground Glass

6x9 Mask for 4x5 Ground Glass

Good day,

With the recent acquisition of a Toyo 69/45 back for my Wisner, I'm in need of a 6x9 mask for 4x5.

I remember http://www.satinsnowglass.com/grids.pdf having the downloadable full sized grids, and it's only a matter of marking the GG using a pencil. but their website is defunct. Might anyone have any other alternatives/sites to download the mask?

Many thanks and best regards,
    Danish
    Negeri Sembilan, Malaysia, Asia.

Re: 6x9 Mask for 4x5 Ground Glass

I would remove the back from the camera, put the Toyo 69/45 in place on this back, and take measurements to the edge of the film format with the darkslide of the Toyo removed.

Then. replace the ground glass and use the same measurements to mark on the ground glass where the lines should be.

One method is to use graphics drawing software to draw your grids to scale, and then print them on transparency sheets made for laser printers. Cut it to fit the operator's (non-etched) side of focusing screen. Clip the corners of the transparency grid to provide a place to attach it using a tiny piece of tape. The tape should be a type that can be easily removed.

Also you can place marks on the glass (non-etched side) with a fine tipped Sharpy marker.

And there is also marking just two or all four corners of the framing area using small rectangular slivers of tape, ie; electrical tape.

Personally I would not mark the etched/frosted side of a viewing/focusing glass. Especially with a pencil. This can easily damage the finely etched surface leaving permanent marks in the surface of the glass.

Drew Wiley

What I do is take a scrap of white polyester sheet (void scrap of Cibachrome paper, in my case), cut it to the exact size of the groundglass, then carefully mark the
    position of 6x9 on that, then carefully cut that out with a straightedge and an XActo knife or single-edged razor blade. This easily slips in or out of the groundglass
    retainer clips without needed to loosen them, so I can quickly convert between 4x5 filmholder or a nice masking 6x9 perspective without peripheral visual clutter.
    But I also take a fine-point Sharpie pen and use to 6x9 mask to place a tiny black dot at each intended corner of the 6x9 image. That way I have a quick reference
    if I don't have time to slip in the mylar mask. I prefer this method to drawing lines on the glass, or marking them with narrow graphics tape, because it is less
    visually distracting during composition.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Somewhere on my computer I have downloaded PDF of those masks. I can check tonight and will let you know. I also saw them elsewhere on the web at one time but can't recall where.

p.s. I used pencil on ground side many times without problem. I actually like that solution better than grease pencil on the shiny side or plastic overlay, both of which I tried with limited success. Sharpie on the shiny side, though, might be the best solution of all.

I did this to a Speed Graphic once in 6x7 cm. I cut a 6x7 cm rectangle from card stock and traced the corners with a pencil.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I have. PM sent.

Received it from Mr HMG via email a few days ago.

I'll have it printed out on a clear sheet of plastic and will let you know how it goes!

Many thanks everyone for giving input. If anyone else requires the grids, just drop me an email at danishfairoz_95@hotmail.com and I shall promptly send.
    Negeri Sembilan, Malaysia, Asia.