Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Unreasonable Fee?

Born L.A.-NYC is 2nd Home-Rustbelt is Home Base

Re: Unreasonable Fee?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    No I still get a lot of regular income from stock. $4k in the last month-all editorial for national "shelter" magazines. For what my clients need (specific projects of architecture and interiors) there is nothing free available that trumps what I am selling. That's the trick. You must have something they need that they can't get anywhere else or is impossible or too expensive to reshoot. If you are trying to sell generic landscapes forget it.
    Something they need that they can't get anywhere else or is impossible or too expensive to reshoot - sums it up.

Re: Unreasonable Fee?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    It is understood that this is the sale of the print as a work of art—an artifact. I am not selling the image itself for any other purpose than for personal use as a display item.
    I can't comment on international copyright law ... because it doesn't really exist, but as far as UK Copyright law is concerned (and I suspect many others) you may be surprised to learn that when you buy a painting, by an artist, for example, in a gallery, you do not buy the copyright. The painting is yours. The physical object itself. But you do not own any copyright. So literally, you cannot 'copy' it. That means, you can't sell postcards of the image, or have it published in a book, a magazine or sell it to a massive multi-national company to use for their worldwide advertising campaign etc. etc. etc. All you own, is the actual physical object. Some paint, squished onto a piece of stretched canvas.