Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carleton Watkins: The Stanford Albums

Carleton Watkins: The Stanford Albums

This book arrived today. If you are a Carleton Watkins fanboy this is a must have. The prints are about 9 1/2 x 12 1/2 which means they are reduced to about 2/3s the size of the original prints. It's a shame it couldn't be full size but then I wouldn't be able to lift the book. Beautifully done with many essays. It's at a very reasonable price.

It's amazing what a master can do with wet plates and albumen prints.

Re: Carleton Watkins: The Stanford Albums

Heading to the show Thursday evening--my kids wanted to go so I held off going...will buy the book there if they have it. Can't wait...

--Darin

Note that they closed the Cantor museum book store a while ago. If the book is available at Stanford, you will have it get it from the University bookstore.

Available at Stanford University Press or at the big online retailer for a few dollars less.
    van Huyck Photography
    "Searching for the moral justification for selfishness" JK Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by richardman View Post
    Note that they closed the Cantor museum book store a while ago. If the book is available at Stanford, you will have it get it from the University bookstore.
    Oh, right. I was at their closing sale....hmmmmm. Thanks. I'll try the University bookstore first.

--Darin

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Terrific exhibition - one not to be missed. You will be shocked at how good some of the prints are! In fact, I pushed Albumin printing forward on my agenda which makes sense since I have been making salt prints for the past several months or year now and have become proficient with the process.

The catalogue is sold at the Kiosk for $45 in the Cantor lobby (behind the info desk) 11-4PM only. The kiosk is not manned after 4pm. I don't think it is available at the bookstore but I didn't check. There are sample catalogues in the exhibit hall and frankly it doesn't compare with the prints and is not the same quality as the Charles Marville catalogue which I highly recommend.

Thomas

Just ordered it on-line. Hope to see the show!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Wish I could see this show. I saw a display of mammoth size albumen prints by Watkins at the Harry Ransom center at the UT Austin a number of years ago and was blown away by the quality and grandeur of the format. I think even a great catalog won't come close to doing this size justice.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Is he the one that used that gigantic camera which took several people to operate, to shoot a train?

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

No. His big camera was an 18x22" that he had specially made. He also used a stereographic camera. Came to SF in 1850 at 20 yrs of age and found employment in a photo studio where he apparently learned the trade. Opened his own studio 6 years later on Montgomery Street but didn't do portraits. He made ends meet by working commissions and selling his own prints in his studio. Fascinating individual well worth studying. The prints on display at the Cantor are truly magnificent.

Thomas

Thomas