Thread: Refill OEM Epson 7900 cartridge?

Refill OEM Epson 7900 cartridge?

Just curious - is it possible to refill and prime an original Epson 7900 cartridge that has been used up?

To make a long story short, I have just this weekend picked up a 7900 practically free. The university I work at has one that I've used, and because of that I can get a whole set of carts free, used, when they next go empty. I'm not keen on spending 4-figures on getting ink for this almost free printer, so I'm looking at all my options when it comes to getting it running. I am looking at ConeColor inks, of course.

I don't even know if it works as of yet. It has no carts and no maintenance cart even.

My fall-back plan is to just donate it for a tax write-off to the university, since the photo program could use another one and would likely convert it to a piezography printer. Or maybe I'll just do the piezography thing, but I'd like to have a full color printer. I've already got friends and business contacts calling me about doing poster/banner prints for their businesses. There is no fine art or high-quality print shop in town, or even in the next few towns, except for one clueless frameshop owner who can barely operate a computer (I used them once and he just let me use the printer computer and do whatever, because he had no idea what an ICC profile even was).
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Re: Refill OEM Epson 7900 cartridge?

Don't know about the carts but isn't the 9900/7900 one of the ones that has trouble with Piezography inks--problems with clogs, etc? Something you should double-check on before proceeding...

--Darin

I have heard about the printhead issues that may plague these models but not specifically that the Piezography inks were any worse than normal inks. In fact, Inkjet Mall claims that ConeColor and Piezography ink users report less clogs than standard Epson ink...but I'm sure they would, in their position, so I'm not inclined to take that at face value.

Bryan,

I know several photographers that print using the 9900 and they all love it. As to clogging issues, I have not heard any complaints from them. I still currently use a 9600 that has been chugging along for about 10 years (I think.) I imagine that all printers at some time or other experience head clogs, I know I do every once and in a while. I think a lot depends on how often it is used and the type of paper used or so I am told. There are several third party vendors selling inks at quite reasonable prices. Maybe that is one way of checking if the printer can get up and running. I have never tried any of the third party inks yet, although I am tempted.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I have heard about the printhead issues that may plague these models but not specifically that the Piezography inks were any worse than normal inks. In fact, Inkjet Mall claims that ConeColor and Piezography ink users report less clogs than standard Epson ink...but I'm sure they would, in their position, so I'm not inclined to take that at face value.

I'm not up on the 7900....I have a 7600 and a 4880. Assuming things work the same way, get a bottom fill adapter and a chip resetter from MIS. (Or Cone.) Fill the cartridges with a cheap base. (You can buy it or make your own. Polypropylene Glycol + distilled water, or similar.) Reset the chips. Prime the cartridges. Install. There will be enough dilute color left in the cartridges to print nozzle checks. That would allow you to do some testing with the least possible expenditure. If you have clogs or similar, then get: http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Green-1...green+aircraft . Dilute with pure water 1+2 or so, load, and run through the bad channel.

Good luck!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Thanks Peter, great info and a good idea for checking nozzles!