Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: <Soft Focus> PortLand, Hyperion, and Mirroscope lenses in a Garden of Delights

<Soft Focus> PortLand, Hyperion, and Mirroscope lenses in a Garden of Delights

tailstock, oilcan, gloves

I spent a full day Saturday the 10th photographing with our own Rudi "Amedeus" Blondia at the Kelly foundry using the soft focus lenses. 3 pages of images. Do hope some of you will enjoy.

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/20...Delights1.html
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Re: <Soft Focus> PortLand, Hyperion, and Mirroscope lenses in a Garden of Delights

Jim, awesome images as always. Mirroscope? Love the look.

Re: <Soft Focus> PortLand, Hyperion, and Mirroscope lenses in a Garden of Delights

Fabulous images Jim, showing once more the different characters of the lenses and why one of each is so much fun ;-)

I need to bring my 8x10 Sinar out next time and shoot some of my larger SF lenses for a different look ... there's a limit of what one can capture of all the "soft aberrations" on a "crop sensor" like the 645 even with the short focal soft focus lenses I'm using. This said, I'm extremely happy with what I got ... can't show it here but I'll provide a link to my blog when they're up and you'll see them trickling through on my FB account as well

I don't think there is another way to capture the mood of the place, and the tools of the past, than soft focus. I really like the Mirrorscope lens shots the best, along with the Portland at F22 for some reason, probably because I do like a little contrast and the tones are nice. Good journey you two took us on.

Thanks Garrett and Jim and Rudi.

Rudi, when you get some of yours organized I can incorporate links to yours on my pages and vice versa.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

Nice glowy, dreamy quality... and none of those awful swirls!

Lovely work, Jim! Yes, those old lenses sing with beautiful voices, but you found a setting with just the right acoustics...

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    I really like the Mirrorscope lens shots the best...
    I wouldn't argue that, and it's wonderful that the lens of a cheap tin magic lantern stands so comfortably with the Port-Land and Hyperion, two of the legendary soft lenses.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Oh, for the days when one of Jim's shoots would premier with a gala festival with Hollywood starlets, be in all the news, and be the talk of the town for weeks. Where have all the soft focus flowers gone....?

Well, I still like them!

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    Where have all the soft focus flowers gone....?
    Me 'n Pete Seeger fading away . . .

Real nice, Jim. And what a fun place to spend the day.