Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head Rest and Posing Stands

Head Rest and Posing Stands

I'm sending off my Kodak 2D to Star Camera to have a back made for tintype work and have a few questions I'm hoping to get some help with. I'll be using the Rockland kit to start and I'm wandering how long I have between coating the plates and shooting them before they start to go south. Also, has anyone got any ideas about either finding or making a head rest or posing stand for long exposures. I've searched through Ebay and can't find anything, also none available new or refurbished so I guess it's make your own time. Anyone have any plans or thoughts?

Re: Head Rest and Posing Stands

Hi,

that´s the one I built (total cost ca. EUR 75)

http://www.collodion.com/forum_posts...ad-brace#72796

and here is another DIY solution

http://www.mauritsbollen.com/A-DIY-Head-Brace

Best regards
    André

Scott Davis

If you're going to do collodion, skip the Rockland kit and do the real thing. I haven't seen good results from one yet although others may have examples to prove the contrary.

Quote Originally Posted by RPippin View Post
    I'm sending off my Kodak 2D to Star Camera to have a back made for tintype work and have a few questions I'm hoping to get some help with. I'll be using the Rockland kit to start and I'm wandering how long I have between coating the plates and shooting them before they start to go south. Also, has anyone got any ideas about either finding or making a head rest or posing stand for long exposures. I've searched through Ebay and can't find anything, also none available new or refurbished so I guess it's make your own time. Anyone have any plans or thoughts?
    Claude Levet makes Centennial Head Rest Stand. Not cheap but they are great.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...l=1#post752046

http://photo.net/gc/view-one?classified_ad_id=1207750
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

Seems to me, many of us could use the head part only with existing mike stands, lab equipment or c-stands with sandbags.

I would prefer to find only the adjustable head piece as that all I would need to adapt to my posing chair.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostcount View Post
    Claude Levet makes Centennial Head Rest Stand. Not cheap but they are great.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...l=1#post752046

http://photo.net/gc/view-one?classified_ad_id=1207750
    Incidentally, Claude sells the head portion separately.
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

I use a small light stand with a grip arm and a plastic spring clamp from Home Depot gaff taped to the grip arm. The spring clamp provides the V for the head rest, the light stand is the base and height adjustment, and the grip arm acts as a pivot. A mic stand with a short boom would probably do the job--worth a trip to Guitar Center. Claude's stands are nice, but $600 is a lot if you aren't setting up a period studio.

Great, I will contact him.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostcount View Post
    Incidentally, Claude sells the head portion separately.

Thanks for the reply, Scott, but my plan is to do tintypes right now. Will want to mix my own chemicals in the future, but from the results I've seen the Rockland kit will do for now. If you have some alchemy tricks up your sleeve, come down to C'ville and visit with Keith and myself. I have a working studio, darkroom and living space on the old downtown mall.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryS View Post
    I use a small light stand with a grip arm and a plastic spring clamp from Home Depot gaff taped to the grip arm. The spring clamp provides the V for the head rest, the light stand is the base and height adjustment, and the grip arm acts as a pivot. A mic stand with a short boom would probably do the job--worth a trip to Guitar Center. Claude's stands are nice, but $600 is a lot if you aren't setting up a period studio.
    Indeed... a few sandbags/ankle weights does wonders for stability.