Thread: Tripod Support

Tripod Support

A few years ago at the Albuquerque View Camera conference I saw Dick Arnetz had a tripod support extension that was made by Bogen that provided additional camera rail support when using heavy long focal length lenses. I looked long and hard and could not come up with anything.

The device attached separately to the leg of the tripod and supported the bed/end rail of the camera.

Anyone know if Bogen still makes one of these and can point me to it at a vendor? Any other suggestions short of a second tripod?

Thanks in advance!

Octogenarian

Tripod Support

Hi Michael,

Are you asking about the Bogen/Manfrotto long lens support arm? If so, it's still listed in the Bogen/Manfrotto catalogue as item #3252. Any Bogen/Manfrotto dealer should be able to obtain it for you.

Tripod Support

You might be thinking of the Bogen "Magic Arm", Michael. It is a two-segment, multi-directional arm with 5/8" studs at each end, so it can be inserted into various Bogen and Matthews Grip clamps. It still has a fair amount of flex, however, because of the elbows. I use the same clamps with a heavier, straight telescoping section from a short background light stand that is much more rigid.

Tripod Support

The long lens support works well. You will need a place to screw it in the camera. It is designed to screw in to camera body while the lens is mounted on the tripod. View cameras have but one mounting point.

Tripod Support

B@W offers this long lens support from Bogen/Manfrotto, but I wouldn't know how you attach that to a LF lens!? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=5545&is=REG.
    Juergen

Tripod Support

I just realized that the link above doesn't work - it comes back with "item not found". Here is how you get there on their website: Tripods -> General Tripod accesories -> Accesories for tripod legs. There are indeed two Telephoto support systems offered from Bogen.
    Juergen

Tripod Support

I use the long lens support to help stabilize my Ansco 8x10 camera bed. It has made my camera more stable and my shots are now coming out a lot sharper.

Tripod Support

Diane, do just extend it until it reaches the camera bed and some to provide support ?

Tripod Support

I use a second 1/4 -20 tap on the camera and drop a monopod straight down to the ground once I am set up. This has been a great help in reducing camera shake.

Cheers,

Tripod Support

Thanks you all for your recommendations. I will try the Bogen long arm extension to see if that will work and post my results.

Cheers!