Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: help with lens choice?

Re: help with lens choice?

Start with a used 4x5 before you spend time and effort (and money) to go to 8x10.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Fujinon 420L would be a good choice. They come in a modern shutter, they're reasonably priced, and they're good performers. If I were building a camera for this purpose, I'd base it off of a portrait camera, such as a Century View No.9, instead of off of a field camera. In other words, non-collapsible, back movements and focusing...
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Bill and Peter,
    First, thank you both for you help and advice. Bill - I decided I would start with a used 4x5 for the reasons you list and because I want to get my feet wet while I look for a lens for an 8x10 that I want to build. As you mention, it will be a lot cheaper to screw up small stuff.
    Peter,
    Thanks for the reference to both the lens and the camera. The work I want to do with it is portrait work, so I think you are right in terms of not needing a folder. Thanks again to you both - I really appreciate your input.
    Mark

Rank - one important thing to consider while working with your 4 x 5 and portrait work is whether or not you will need front swing and/or tilt. A lot of people say you don't need it with portrait work, but I use it all the time on my 8 x 10 Deardorff. Play around with the 4 x 5 to get your feet wet. One thing to keep in mind when making the switch to the bigger format is that the depth of field is likely to be less than you may be used with with 35mm or 120. It's also less switching from 4 x 5 ot 8 x 10. That might factor into your decision on whether swing and tilt is important to your 8 x 10 design. Leaving them off makes your design quite a lot simpler, but once you don't have it, you might wish you did.

Dan,
    Not knowing anything about it, I was thinking that swings and tilts were just for architecture until I played around with it last night. Now I have a much better idea of what those components can mean. The more I learn the more I realize just how little I know... Thanks -
    Mark

Hi Rank.

Sorry I can not speak good English , I use google translator . I try to write short, simple sentences to not have many faults , or incongruous words.

I'm sick and sometimes I can not walk , so fabricate my cameras ( I need to cameras weigh very little) .
    The mixing fabricate parts from various brands ( linhof , Sinar , Cambo ) and then use lensboard adapter, because I have made ​​several very different cameras .

The other cameras you see on my facebook wall , I also I have built with my own design .

Not as uploading some photos here . But if you use facebook you can see on my wall some of my designs cameras .

https://www.facebook.com/francisco.f...102/photos_all

I have made two cameras (one 4x5 and one 8x10 ) wood , are like a puzzle are sold very cheap ... Brand BULLDOG .

I 've modified the 2 cameras, with parts linhof and Sinar .

You can see that camera is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9z-...layer_embedded

but as you can see in the photos from my facebook, my designs are simple cameras , sometimes delete all the movements , and I only left the option to focus the image. with that, the camera weighs very little .

The lens , as you 've heard many interesting things. And do not think I can improve information , they have provided companions .

I hope my ideas about design cameras, are of interest . If you need any clarification , I gladly will.

regards

Francisco,
    Thank-you very much! I hadn't thought of piecing together parts from other cameras, which would certainly make many things easier. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me and for posting those links. Thanks again and have a great week -
    Mark

Conventional wisdom says that a 12" or 300mm is too short, but it isn't. My preference was a 360mm, but I got lots of good pictures with a 300. If you go for the longer lenses make sure your bellows is long enough.

Thanks Bruce! I am still searching for a lens that will work and that I can afford, and I really appreciate your help -
    Mark