Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to fit Series 6 filters on Ektar 4.5, 152mm on Crown Graphic

How to fit Series 6 filters on Ektar 4.5, 152mm on Crown Graphic

I'm trying to figure out how to use a Crown Graphic, early 50s vintage, that I purchased blind a couple years ago. Everything seems to be in working order. The camera came with several series 6 filters and a Kodak Series 6 adapter ring, 38 mm. I must be missing something, since the ring doesn't fit on my 152mm Ektar lens nor do the filters stay in place if I put them in the adapter ring that was in the carrying case.

Sorry to be dense about this- I'm sure it's been asked before- this is post #1 for me so hopefully future questions will be better. I see there are various
    rings and adapters on eBay but I'm not sure what I should be looking for. I've read about filter systems that can be used with many different lenses, but I was hoping there would be a simple solution filtsince I already have 5 different series 6 filters.

Ted Gross

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: How to fit Series 6 filters on Ektar 4.5, 152mm on Crown Graphic

You probably need 2 things: the correct size adapter, and the retaining ring or lens hood.

Measure the outside of your lens. I think the 38 fit a 135 Optar. Son't know size of the 152 lens.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    You probably need 2 things: the correct size adapter, and the retaining ring or lens hood.
    Thanks for the comments. Will bring the camera to a local camera store that has lots of misc older stuff, Biggs Camera in Charlotte. Will try to figure it out by trial and error.
    Ted

Do or do not. There is no try.

According to the 1953 Kodak Ektar Lenses catalog on the cameraeccentric web site, the 152mm takes Series VII filters using the 1-3/4" adapter ring. I may have a spare at home, I'll check this evening. But by all means try Biggs Camera, no guarantees on my end.

This site has an excellent article on series filters, rings, shades.

That is a really good article, Jac... thanks. I didn't really learn anything new but it is well written and accurate. I wish I had read that years ago when I figured out Series filters.

To the OP. If you buy online consider looking up an ebay seller named "Macintoshcat" or something similar. He is a good guy and is quite affordable; I've bought from him several times and he has great feedback. He also sells his adapters with the retaining ring. Some other sellers do not include the retaining ring and charge twice as much since you have to buy them separately. Suggest you pay attention tot he lens hood option for retaining the filter... it is well worth the extra expense.

It's midnight in China.
    I have 152mm Ektar with an aluminum Tiffen serial 6 adapter ring 44.5mm.
    The ring just pulls out and push onto the lens if my memory was good enough.
    I will check the lens tomorrow.
    Sometimes love just ain't enough.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pierre506/sets/

Interesting to learn there seems to be a 44.5mm adapter for series 6. I've been seeing mostly series VII with the 44.5. Guess if I could find that, I would be able to use the series 6 filters I already have. Or else move to a 44.5mm series VII adapter and buy some filters.

Very helpful article- now I can visualize what I need. Just strange that the adapter in the case with the camera fits a smaller Ektar lens than was on the camera. Probably had changed the lens at some point to the 152mm. The lot I purchased was on display in an antique mall- sort of surprised anything works, but the camera seems to be in good shape.