Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you (politely) keep people away when you compose?

How do you (politely) keep people away when you compose?

Being a deep woods landscaper, I'd estimate that 99.9% of my shots had no one around to bother me, so I have very little experience keeping curious, but well-meaning people from distracting me.

Maybe you work around more people than I do – if so, what tips can you share?

To narrow the scope, I mean tips that deal with pedestrians and bystanders who really don't mean to get in the way, but whose curiosity overcomes their better judgment, and distracts you from the shot that needs your concentration.

I can imagine a few common sense tips, and would like to hear more. For example, "Go when they're not there." I've enjoyed popular Yellowstone Nat'l Park attractions all to myself during peak summer season – that is, when I arrive at 6:00 a.m. and stop shooting by 8:30 a.m. I'm certain additional tips like that have never occurred to me, so I'd like to hear about your experiences.

I suppose body language can also help. One example – not initiating a greeting when people come near (that is, pretending you don't even know they're there). In other words, making yourself look busy and in little need of disturbance. And even if someone still approaches you with an overly friendly "Hello," then delaying a friendly response for a few seconds just might communicate that you're friendly too, but a little too busy for any sociable interaction.

I've never used stage props to discourage interaction, but I've seen a recent post about yellow caution tape, plus others that swear by orange construction vests.

Do you have stories to share, and what are your best tips to keep friendly people at bay when you need to concentrate?

Re: How do you (politely) keep people away when you compose?

orange coveralls with a few random numbers on the back. NO ONE will bother you.

I remember working on a cover shot of a historic building for a New Mexico Magazine assignment. I was waiting for the setting sun to break through and illuminate the building right at sunset as there was a small gap in the clouds right on the horizon. I had setup and waited about 1/2 an hour. The only way I could meet the deadline was to get this shot-it was do or die. Right when the sun broke through and I was metering this brief bit of illumination a couple of tourists came up and asked me what I was doing. I told them I couldn't talk as I was on assignment for NMM and I had to get this last ray of light. I was probably a bit brusque as I shot a couple of sheets and then went under the dark cloth to check the focus then came out again re-metered and shot two more sheets and then two brackets for insurance. Then the light went away and it started raining so I quickly packed up my gear. When I looked around they had left. The next day I got a phone call from the magazine saying that they had complained that I was rude to them. I said I probably was but I got a great image for the cover. When they saw the film they said no problem "be as rude as you need to be if you bring us this kind of work".
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Yell out, "Okay! Ready for the explosives!" if someone starts to walk in front of your 'surveying' equipment. A hard hat and safety vest would add more believability to it.

Two women walked into this scene as I had the camera (5x7) set up. I waited patiently and was rewarded with even better light after they left. Sometimes one gets lucky.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FallsMultnomahCr_Carbon.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

nice shot, Vaughn. If I had a dollar for every time someone walked right past me into my shot, I'd probably have a bodyguard on staff. Not that I own the place but c'mon! I consider it courteous to at least ask. I had a guy at Zion step in front of the lens (to snap his own shot) while I was under the darkcloth. Scared the shit out of me because I didn't hear him over the rushing water.

I tell them to drop their clothes over there and wait for the rest of the models to arrive. (Caveat: that does not work at Burning Man!)

Perhaps a simple gesture would suffice: Silently place an index finger over closed lips? That's what my mother used to do when I was not to speak - even as a child that was effective.

Yes, a simple upraised finger often works.

"" – added for the clarification of a Mr. Bodine (What finger you talkin' about Louis?).

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Yes, a simple upraised finger often works.
    Yes, if you're in for a battle.

Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"