Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BTZS vs VIDEC system

Re: BTZS vs VIDEC system

I read completely through the PDF of the Videc System and see no reason for it.Why do people continue to attempt to re-invent the Zone System? All they do is make it more complicated and usually require the obtaining of more expensive equipment. There is really nothing simpler than the Zone System as originally laid out by Fred Archer and Ansel Adams. The simplest explanation is in "Portraiture" by Archer. Adam's two series of books continued to refine it, but often these are more than most people attempting to use it need. BTZS and Videc are among the many attempts to alter it , but when the physics and chemistry of photography are taken into account the worker will find there are errors in some of their presumptions.
    Pick a film and developer combination and then go back to the basics and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!! After you have carefully thought through production of several dozen images you should begin to become competent. Don't expect to expose part of a box of 25 sheets of film with an untested shutter and un-calibrated thermometer and become an expert regardless of any system you might use.

I agree with you completely, Jim. As I reviewed the materials, I found myself continually asking of what value VIDEC was, and how it differed from any standard ZS appreciation as set forth by AA and others. My (unverified) suspicion is that the system began as some kind of academic exercise, and that the author pulled it out of retirement to make whatever strengths it may have available to others. However, in my own final analysis, since it did not appear to violate any accepted ZS theory or practice, I concluded its value lies mainly in that its distinctly visual approach – though unnecessary for some, had the potential of offering another route into a system of exposure and printing that so many have found either arcane or indecipherable. If I had not personally experienced the difficulties and prejudices (to be kind) of so many, most of whom inhabit internet photo forums, I would likely conclude, as you, that it had no value. But the methods and intents of the ZS are often so poorly understood that I feel that any tool that has the potential to assist others in a fuller understanding and appreciation of light as it interfaces with film and the final print has some value.

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    ...I feel that any tool that has the potential to assist others in a fuller understanding and appreciation of light as it interfaces with film and the final print has some value.
    I agree, this is one of the main benefits of going through the exercises.

Charris,

Have you decided on a system yet?

You know how the gray patch Zone System stickers for light meters only really "work" for "N" development time? For example, when you develop N+2, a Zone VI reading will be close to paper white on your print. Expansions and contractions are difficult to visualize and there have been a few attempts to help in that department.

I would say BTZS and VIDEC both try to help you with this problem (visualizing place and fall at different development times)...

In the VIDEC system, you draw an ISO-Density graph. This puts development times on the x-axis, and follows all the "Zones" to their resulting density on the negative at the different development times. If you can visualize how a density on negative will turn out in a print, then this graph will help you in the field.

VIDEC doesn't depart from traditional Zone System here. Minor White showed a similar cross-reference graph in his Zone System booklet. I haven't seen Minor White's graph in other Zone System tutorials so it must not have caught on.

BTZS describes a "Wonder Wheel" that is extremely difficult to make. I would be surprised to find a real one in the wild. You can purchase the "Power Dial" from the View Camera Store that serves the same purpose, but doesn't have the actual grays printed on the wheel. There are also computer programs.