Thread: Difference between ARCA-SWISS 6x9 Front/Rear Frame

Difference between ARCA-SWISS 6x9 Front/Rear Frame

Can anyone tell me what, if any differences there are between the ARCA-SWISS 6x9 front (061000) and rear (o61001) format frames? I was wondering if there is any reason why a 6x9 rear format frame could not be used as a front format frame.

The reason I ask is that I currently have a 4x5 F-Line that I would like to convert to an F-Line Field (4x5 rear, 6x9 front) and have an opportunity to buy a used 6x9 F-Line Classic. Just looking at the photos I can find online, there doesn't appear to be any noticeabledifference between the front and rear format frames. So, I was wondering if I could use the parts from my current 4x5 F-Line combined with a 6x9 F-Line and end up with TWO 4x5 F-Line Field cameras (minus the 4x5/6x9 tapered bellows, and one 4x5 ground glass back).

Buying new, this wouldn't make financial sense, but since I already have the 4x5 F-Line and can get a good price on a used 6x9 F-Line it looks attractive. Especially given that I could turn around and sell one of the two resulting F-Line Field cameras and the left over 4x5 and 6x9 bellows.

Thanks,
    Kerry

Kerry:

I think the only difference is the "polarity" of the shift scale and levels, so that the scales face out on each end of the camera, but the levels end up on the same side of the camera... does that make sense?

Hi Kerry,
    I will look at my 6x9 tonight and respond..Evan Clarke

I think the only difference is the "polarity" of the shift scale and levels, so that the scales face out on each end of the camera, but the levels end up on the same side of the camera... does that make sense?

Glenn,

OK, I understand the issue with the shift scales, but you lost me on the levels. Don't the 6x9 format frames have levels on both the left and right sides (like my 4x5 format frames)? WRT the shift scales, is it possible to just completly loosen both knobs (the ones that control the rise/fall movement), slide the two pieces apart, rotate the part with the shift scale and uprights (the "bottom" half) by 180 degrees and then re-assamble the two halves? That probably wasn't too clear, but it would seem like doing so would get the shift scale back facing out when using a rear format frame on the front of the camera.

Evan,

Thanks for the response. If you could try swapping your front and rear format frames and see if the bellows, lensboards and camera back all still fit, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Kerry

You probably would do better to sell the extra parts individually. I'd buy a pair of standards to swap out with my lowly Discovery standards, especially if you had a Metric version. I'm sure there are ready buyers for the rails and other parts as well.

sorry Kerry... my bad about the levels.