Thread: Cleaning and prepping 5x7 & 8x10 wooden holders

Cleaning and prepping 5x7 & 8x10 wooden holders

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this but here goes.

I have a small number of wooden 8x10 & 5x7 holders which I've never used, but plan to use shortly for an arts festival shoot.
    The 8x10 are in better condition than the 5x7 and I had thought I'd have time to replace the 5x7 before needing them for shoots but that
    looks not to be the case.

Obviously I'll be testing them for light-tightness before a 'proper' shoot, but I need to clean and re-tape them, especially the 5x7
    so

1. Is it standard book binding tape that's used, I'm assuming Gaffa tape is too thick/stiff
    2. In terms of cleaning the slides and grooves, is a small amount of lighter fuel safe, someone on another forum mentioned using furniture polish on a cotton bud to clean the grooves
    3. Is stiffness of sliding the darkslide normal for olden wooden holders or just a product of needing a clean.
    4. I also have some plastic 8x10 holders I'll need to clean, so recommendations for products for those would be appreciated also.

Thanks, D

Re: Cleaning and prepping 5x7 & 8x10 wooden holders

very helpful Ken, thanks, I should have enquired in my original post whether there was an existing thread, thanks, D

thanks Ken for directing me to that thread, Renaissance wax ordered for the film holders, will hopefully give them a new lease of life

Bookbinding tape seems to be what's used in many originally. Gaffers tape is thicker and the adhesive will loosen in time.

The micro attachmenst for a mini Shop Vac is your friend. A little wax will help lubricate the dark slides on both wood and plastic holders. Book binders tape is best, Gaffer's will work if you're in a jam. I'd use compressed air before trying to stick anything into the grooves.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White