Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Epson V750 BW Film Scan Quality (Bad?)

Andrew "The RedSun"

Epson V750 BW Film Scan Quality (Bad?)

This is the first time I use V750 to scan 6x7 BW film. I'm not impressed by the quality. The 6x7 film is superior to the 35mm film I used before. But the digital images do not reflect that.

For the V750 film scan, I used 2400 and 3200 dpi resolution. Not much difference. The skin tone is really bad, not smooth. I do not know if I did not scan correctly. I used the stock film carrier and used the top lens for negative.

I have Minolta Elite 5400 to scan my 35mm film. The quality is much better.

Not sure if there is anything else I can do.

Re: Epson V750 BW Film Scan Quality (Bad?)

A good scanner like the v750 is not plug and play. Look for some tutorials online to help your quality. Here's one of them:

http://www.imagingtips.com/othertips...0100scan.shtml

There are more if you look.

My V750 was plug and play. I get excellent 8x10 film scans, dry or wet mounting. Even scanning with the holders is excellent. Have you scanned negatives directly on the bed? Have you tried scanning prints?

Epson V750 BW Film Scan Quality (Bad?)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    My V750 was plug and play.
    All epson scanners are NOT plug and play they require drivers and software to be installed to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
    For the V750 film scan, I used 2400 and 3200 dpi resolution. Not much difference. The skin tone is really bad, not smooth.
    The dpi you scan at has absolutely nothing to do with how skin tones are going to look, that has to do with the other image settings.
    https://files.support.epson.com/html...00-00500-00800
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

Andrew "The RedSun"

I'm using the negative holder with the top scan lens. I've used it to scan color prints, never any problem. But this is the first time I scan 120 film.... The scan should be straight forward, not much settings to choose. I just use the Epson Scan, no processing.

All epson scanners are NOT plug and play they require drivers and software to be installed to use them.
    Yes, I installed the driver that came with the CD. What other software is required?

This is the first time I use V750 to scan 6x7 BW film. I'm not impressed by the quality. The 6x7 film is superior to the 35mm film I used before. But the digital images do not reflect that.

For the V750 film scan, I used 2400 and 3200 dpi resolution. Not much difference. The skin tone is really bad, not smooth. I do not know if I did not scan correctly. I used the stock film carrier and used the top lens for negative.

Posting some examples of your bad scans usually helps guide thoughtful and helpful responses.

I'm using the negative holder with the top scan lens. I've used it to scan color prints, never any problem. But this is the first time I scan 120 film.... The scan should be straight forward, not much settings to choose. I just use the Epson Scan, no processing.
    There are lots of settings that can be twiddled with to improve your scans. I mentioned an online tutorial for your scanner and that would be a good place to start. Once you learn a little more about scanning and operating the scanner, you will be able to ask better questions here which I'm sure someone can answer for you. Finding a book or guide for reference might be a good thing also. Perhaps someone here can make some suggestions.

It's not really a surprise that the Epson flatbed scanner delivers less resolution than a dedicated film scanner. Tonality is another matter.

You might find this article helpful: Scanning Tips (with EPSON and VueScan Software)

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

From what you have described in your post, you are having a problem with tonal rendition, and you are using negative film. Have you tried profiling your scanner? I use Profile Prism, and there are other products, too.

For resolution, the film holders may not be in the scanning plane. The Epson stock holders have three positions, so trying the other positions may increase your resolution. Another problem would be manufacturing tolerances. Some scanners are cherries, some are more like rhubarb. Ctien wrote of his experiences with Epson printers, and I'm sure that the scanners fall into a bell curve of quality as well.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans