Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Versalab Archival Print Washer

Versalab Archival Print Washer

Would appreciate comments on the 11x14 Versalab Archival Print Washer about its ease of use, ease of assembly and effectiveness of the product. Also, can the washer be used to wash sheet films? Many Thanks!

I wanted let you know they are on sale right now (see Ebay or the Versalab website). I just ordered a 16x20 but haven't received it yet. I have heard nothing but positive feedback on Versalab washers but I will let others go into detail.

I own one of these. It's great. Very easy to assemble and use. Assembly took maybe 30 minutes. Could use it to wash film, I guess, but I'd be afraid of scratching it.

Aaron,

I recently purchased one in the 16x20 size, and I found it simple to assemble, but the number of parts may be a little intimidating initially. Pull them all out and follow the directions carefully, and it will go together quite easily.

It seems to work quite well, and for the price, I believe that it is a real bargain for people who care about performance more than overall aesthetics. Anyone who has seen my darkroom can understand that this is my approach.

I don't know if it is suitable for film, but I think it may have a bit too much room in the chambers for the film to move around in to be safe. A call to Versalab will giv you a straight answer on this question, however.

---Michael

I have had one of these for several years and it works fine. I usually wash for about 30-60 minutes, soak for an hour and wash for another 30-60 minutes; not liking to run water for several hours in the desert where I live. I wash 8x10 films in it with no worries. I wouldn't use it for smaller film as the negatives would move around too much. I think there are some "dead" spots in it, and empty it after every use. It is easy to use and clean.

Dave Karp

I have had one almost since they were introduced. It works great. Periodic HT2 testing indicates that it is quite effective. David Vestal did a write up on it in Photo Techniques when they were first introduced and had very good things to say about it.

Assembly is easy, even though there are alot of parts. Basically, you assemble the print basket and insert the hoses. It is time consuming, not difficult.

I would not use it to wash film, unless perhaps you are using 11x14 or 8x10 sheets. Then I would talk to Versalab and see what they say.

Thank you all for the kind response. I think I'll purchase one since the Versalab is quite affordable. Haven't had a print washer ever since I started printing many years ago. It's been tedious hand-washing those prints. I'll also have a word with Versalab regarding washing of films in it. Thanks again.

Aaron

I have a 16X20 with the 20X24 basket. I highly recommend the product - as others have mentioned - it works and assembly is easy. For the money, nothing else is really comparable. A really big plus - I have found there customer service to be top notch.

I own one and like it a lot.

See my review at http://www.butzi.net/reviews/darkroo...Print%20Washer

I used to have the 8x10 model. Worked great, was inexpensive. Only drawback was the saize compared to a regular 8x10 print washer.