Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Convertabilty of lenses...

Re: Convertabilty of lenses...

Well, thanks for the answers, i find i have a plasmat tipe 300mm nikkor w and it is convertible, the front cell as a focal distance of around 800 or 900mm that probably will do, if i need it shorter i will add a close up in the other end.

i think almost all lenses are convertible (even if it´s just with one cell) probably with different grades of quality...

thank you very much

rui

Quote Originally Posted by ruilourosa View Post
    i think almost all lenses are convertible (even if it´s just with one cell) probably with different grades of quality...
    Most of us would expect high quality results from a lens when converted to single cells, I think Bob Salomon hit the nail on the head with his comment "A converted Symmar or Sironar is not a decent lens when converted."

However using single cells from a lens may well work if as you say aberrations are not an issue, but that doesn't mean that lens is convertible.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Mmm, I guess I need to try this on some lenses. I do have the bellows for almost anything...

Anybody try a Cooke or Artar, converted?

Seems aberrations are hip.
    The Cooke convertible is similar to the Turner Reich (except higher quality) and fairly good converted, the American chappy shot in Yosemite with a Cooke XV convertible and wrote about it in his Bibles

I don't have an Artar but I do have the front cell (only) for a 300mm Apo Ronar and if one of my cameras has enough bellow extension might try it. It does form a sharp image on a wall..

Lomography and their poor quality cameras has made aberrations hip

Ian

I´m not interested in lomography and i´m not planning to be hip in the near future, i´m constructing a trailor camera to produce wet plates and daguerreotipes and trying not to spend a lot of money (or at least be reasonable with it). Since the images are not to be enlarged a minor amount of aberrations or lack of quality won´t mind, at least in ths beta stage i´m in, i am trying to build some lenses that could do the trick or adapt, i aleready built some chevaliers achromats, steinheil periskop´s and rapid rectilinear type lenses, but a convertible would have an edge since i´m working in a quite empirical way (and having some success). I think in the future i will have to spend a bit of money in a proper long lens... but in the meantime i will try with some other not so good materials... quem não tem cão caça com gato...

cumprimentos e obrigados

thanks

rui

I have a 5,6/210 mm Symmar, the rear element it's 12/360 mm, but the bellows draw is around 430 mm at infinity.

I haven't tested it yet, but as soon as I can share something...

thanks!

Merci!