Thread: Masking Film Alternative

Masking Film Alternative

Has anyone tried to use x-ray film for the creation of masks? I was thinking of the single-side emulsion type such as Kodak SR45. Most radiography films are double-side emulsions for the additional speed. Single-sided films are used for high-resolution work. This material appears to be cheaper than orthochomatic films (how long will these be available?). The prices that I've seen for film would be around $75 for 100 14" x 17" sheets. Also, the film can be handled under safelight conditions which will help in the process of making the masks. Fuji, Agfa, and Kodak still manufacture x-ray films. The only problem that I see is the films are high contrast and the development will have to be adjusted for this.

Beverly Hills, California

Masking Film Alternative

Honestly, why bother taking up your valuble time testing when masking film substitutes such as FP4+ and TMAX and recommendations how to use them are already out there?

Masking Film Alternative

How do you propose exposing this film?

Masking Film Alternative

X-ray film is as sensitive to light as any photo paper or orthochromatic film. Years ago when I worked with industrial radiography we would make pinhole cameras out of empty film boxes. I wouldn’t use medical x-ray film because of its larger grain. When you’re shooting a person with high-energy photons, you have to have a very fast film. Specialized forms of industrial radiography use single-sided, slow speed films. All of these films are handled inside lightproof cassettes or under safe light conditions. I thought that the benefits would be the relative cost and the easier use under a safe light while making the masks.

Beverly Hills, California

Masking Film Alternative

If you are masking for B&W it sounds like it might work, but you'll need to test with a step tablet, etc.