Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best 8x10 Antique Wood Tripod

Best 8x10 Antique Wood Tripod

Although I have been told many times that I should not get an authentic wood tripod, I still want one. I have no clue on brands, and what works best. What you anyone suggest for a wood tripod that would hold an Eastman 8x10. Either a surveying tripod or camera tripod. Anything wood and from the time period. Suggestion/opinions under $200?

Re: Best 8x10 Antique Wood Tripod

Ries has been around for a long, long time. Even used I doubt if you'll find one for under $200 but they won't let you, or your 8x10 down and that's what's really important right? My battered old 'dorff looks downright pretty on the Ries .
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Ries and Otto are the only two reliable brands. I don't call them antique as I use only wooden tripods. My experience indicates the Otto's are stronger for their weight.
    I doubt you will find one at or below $200. A good used one will likely more than double that price.

Yeah i can get a nice LF tripod for about $150. I just wanted an older wood one that would hold an 8x10

Are you more interested in matching the "antique" look, or getting a strong new wood tripod? It sounds like you are more interested in the former, in which case just search on "wood tripod" on the auction site to see many Folmer Graflex tripods among other vintage wood tripods.

Antique look. Just wanting something that would be strong enough to hold it

I'm a Ries guy but I have also used Berlebach's. Berlebach's are really nice wooden tripods and I have seen them go used in your price range. I paid about $150.00 for mine in mint condition. They are beautiful tripods but I wouldn't call them antique looking though.

You are probably best doing as Dan says and watch Ebay for a "wooden tripod". I'm sure something will come up if you are patient.

Quote Originally Posted by LienhopPhoto View Post
    Antique look. Just wanting something that would be strong enough to hold it
    Is this tripod to be used to exhibit the camera, or to use it?

A Crown #4 would be fine for your 8x10, but you'll probably find that it will exceed your price range. In fact, "antique" or "vintage" wooden tripods on Ebay often have prices comparable to new ones. Be patient; one will appear when you least expect it.

Gandolfi Tripod is very stable, made of wood too. I use one with a whole plate camera and it would easily cope with 8x10.

RR