Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rodney Lough Workshop - Yosemite

Rodney Lough Workshop - Yosemite

Is anyone going this year to the Rodney lough workshop this year. I'm going to the June 6th workshop.

Re: Rodney Lough Workshop - Yosemite

He comes across like a cross between teg nugent and peter lik. Out of curiosity what are you expecting to learn from this MASTER OF PHOTOGRAPHY?

I'm not sure what engenders such negativity. Is he very politically outspoken or something like that or carry a NRA card on his forehead? I certainly understand self-promotion in a competitive field. If you aren't gonna stick up for yourself then don't expect others to. I think a lot of clientele that can afford his images certainly appreciate any titles he appends to his name.

I admire a lot of his work, particularly his non-digital. He has been commercially successful using both, but his most famous pics are done on LF. I don't think its all "marketing." I would love to have enough great work that I was proud of(and that other people like) to open a gallery one day.

That being said, I've just started out in the world of Large Format over the last year, and I have a lot left to learn and do. I've never been to Yosemite, and its been a dream to go for many years and photograph it. I think I could learn a lot from him and he would be a wonderful contact to have.

On the side, he does give large format prints from the trip as a gift.

I wouldn't mind going to a workshop by Jack Dykinga, simply because I liked his book (ok, it helped me get off duff and start LF)

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I have that book! I bought it way back when I was first getting into LF and also found it inspiring. While reading it I recall being silently disapproving when he wrote that he had 6 4x5 lens. "Six!," I thought, "All you need is 3: a wide, normal, and long." Well now, 10 + years later, I have 5 LF cameras and 13! lens for them.

Thomas

Don't let others discourage you from going. If YOU see something offered(or believe that there could be something there) that will benefit you and your photography(or even your life in general), do it!

Life's too short to make mistakes over and over. Learning from others who have proven to be successful at creating photographs can help propel your work forward, and potentially help you from making mistakes that they did.

If you choose to go, have fun! I wish i could go!

-Dan

I'm sure you'll get great images!
    Happy shooting!
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

If you go, I'd be interested in hear your thoughts on the workshop. Lough was probably one of the last "big name" LF color landscape photographers to turn digital. Seems like Lik and Dykinga caved in well before Lough

Bob

I wasn't aware that he switched to digital. If so, who is still doing color nature landscape photography in film besides Christopher Burkett ?

I bet there are a few out there but they are not big on web presences and deal directly with regional gallery representation. Not everyone wants or needs the limelight of being known on the web by potential competition, even though my visibility is about to change on the web big time, I have done *really* well by flying below the radar in that regard.

I have a little bit of color 4x5 for a handful of specific bodies of work but we all know color film's days are likely numbered so it is what it is. I guess that is one of the many beautiful things about black & white, you don't have to fall victim the digital monster.