Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linhof Technikon 100 2,8

Linhof Technikon 100 2,8

Hello Everyone,
    I have come across a beautiful Linhof Technikon 100 f2.8 lens. I have found that it is for 6x9 maximum format and produced by Rodenstock for Linhof. I have also read that Rodenstock's name for this lens was Heligon but after receiving a 1970 Rodestock LF brochure I am a bit puzzled because Rodenstock listed there only two Heligons for LF being 80 f2.8 and 95 f2.8. SN number (production date) matches the date of this catalogue, so it is from the same period. After acquisition(s) Rodenstock is Qioptric now and they do not have any more knowledge on top of what is in the old brochures. Has anyone used this lens, have some experience, data (i.e. flange focal distance)? Thank you very much for taking the time.

Re: Linhof Technikon 100 2,8

It seems that your lens could be a Heligon or a Xenotar. Both are fast double Gauss types, the Heligon has six elements in four groups, the Xenotar five elements in four groups. To tell them apart, count reflections in the rear cell. If a Heligon, you should see four strong reflections and one weak reflection, if a Xenotar four strong reflections and no weak reflection. The weak reflection, if present, may be hard to see. Count reflections with the diaphragm closed or, better still, the cell screwed out of the lens.

The 100mm 2.8 Heligon was Linhof catalog number 000313 for the lens in Compur 1 shutter. It had an 115mm image circle and took 58mm filters. Linhof does not list any other specifications for the lens. It is listed in the 1976 Linhof catalog.

Rodenstock listed the Heligon 95mm as being a 6 element Gauss type lens that covered about 60° and was "a kind of wide-field-lens".

I only have data sheets on the 95mm 2.8 version however. It was quite a bit smaller in diameter then the 100mm though. While the 100mm took 58mm filters the 95mm took 49mm filters. Finding the flange focal distance will not be difficult.

Turn off all the lights in the room and close the curtains and blinds. Take a large piece of white board, point the lens out the window at a distant object. Move the board towards and away from the back of the lens till it casts a sharp image of a distant object on the board. Measure the distance from the mounting flange to the board. That is the flange focal distance at infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    It seems that your lens could be a Heligon or a Xenotar. Both are fast double Gauss types, the Heligon has six elements in four groups, the Xenotar five elements in four groups. To tell them apart, count reflections in the rear cell. If a Heligon, you should see four strong reflections and one weak reflection, if a Xenotar four strong reflections and no weak reflection. The weak reflection, if present, may be hard to see. Count reflections with the diaphragm closed or, better still, the cell screwed out of the lens.
    Except a Xenotar was made by Schneider and his lens was made by Rodenstock. That would also rule out it being a Zeiss Planar. Back in those days Linhof offered all 3. The Technikon (no it was not a Nikon either), the Xenotar and the Planar for the Technika 23 cameras and for up to 23 on 45 and 57 cameras.

Thank you very much for your replies. I can see (if I count them correctly) four strong reflections and one weak, making it Heligon being the main suspect. It is indeed mounted in Compur 1 shutter, but the front filter thread is 49 mm. Markings on the front lens group say Linhof Technikon 100 f2,8. Could it be possible that it is the same lens as Heligon 95 f2,8 due to the effective focal length being somewhere between 95 and 100 mm, so Rodenstock marked them 95 as Heligon and 100 for Linhof OEM supply?

And BTW the lettering is on the outer rim of the front lens group and, judging by colourful reflections, it is multi-coated rather than single one.

Quote Originally Posted by Linhof_ View Post
    Thank you very much for your replies. I can see (if I count them correctly) four strong reflections and one weak, making it Heligon being the main suspect. It is indeed mounted in Compur 1 shutter, but the front filter thread is 49 mm. Markings on the front lens group say Linhof Technikon 100 f2,8. Could it be possible that it is the same lens as Heligon 95 f2,8 due to the effective focal length being somewhere between 95 and 100 mm, so Rodenstock marked them 95 as Heligon and 100 for Linhof OEM supply?
    I checked another 1976 catalog and it does show a 49mm filter thread for the 100mm 2.8 Technikon and a 135mm image circle so the first catalog could have been a typo. This one shows the 100mm Xenotar as having the 115mm image circle and the 58mm filter thread. The other catalog did not have the Xenotar listed.

Since the marked focal length on almost any lens is the nominal focal length and not the actual measured focal length it might have been possible that these were closer to 100mm then 95mm but who cares now and what difference would it make? Linhof listed it as a 100mm 2.8 with a 58mm filter thread. Shoot with it and see if you are happy with it. If so keep shooting with it.

Would it be a collectible? Very unlikely.

As for main suspect, Xenotar was already ruled out due to it being made by Rodenstock and not Schneider.

Linhof had other Technikon lenses in that period. They also had 000304 the 58mm 5.6 Technikon and the 180mm Tele Technikon. Linhof also sold a 270mm 6.3 lens that was made by either Rodenstock or Schneider called the Linhof Portrait-Anastigmat lens about that same time frame or later and, of course, Rodenstock also made the 95mm 3.5 Linhof Technikar lens that was mounted on the various versions of the Linhof 220 cameras.

I have a Xenotar 105mm f/2.8. The filter thread is actually 49mm.

I've always assumed the Technikon was a Xenotar relabeled but I had no real basis for that, just an assumption. I didn't know Rodenstock even had a 95mm f/2.8 lens.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I have a Xenotar 105mm f/2.8. The filter thread is actually 49mm.

I've always assumed the Technikon was a Xenotar relabeled but I had no real basis for that, just an assumption. I didn't know Rodenstock even had a 95mm f/2.8 lens.
    Whenever we asked the Export Manager at Linhof he told us it came from Rodenstock.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Since the marked focal length on almost any lens is the nominal focal length and not the actual measured focal length it might have been possible that these were closer to 100mm then 95mm but who cares now and what difference would it make? Linhof listed it as a 100mm 2.8 with a 58mm filter thread. Shoot with it and see if you are happy with it. If so keep shooting with it.
    That is the best one. Who cares, if the performance is great than the lens is great. Thank you