Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sekonic L358 as landscape LF light meter?

Sekonic L358 as landscape LF light meter?

Dear all,

This is my first post here. I have an Ebony 45SU on order with a few lenses including a 75, 110, 180 and 300 mm (mostly bought second hand).

The application will be 90% landscape work while trekking and 10% architecture. I will be shooting mostly Velvia 100F.

I am now in the process of selecting a light meter.

The extensive reading I have done here before posting leads me to think that the following options are popular:

- Pentax 1 degree spot meter, - Sekonic 508/558/608 - Minolta

I have tried to use the Pentax in a shop here in Tokyo last week and like the way it handles. However, I feel that, would it only be for the sake of learning, it would also be useful for have an incident metering capabilty.

Weight and cost being an issue, I have been considering the Sekonic L-358 with 1 degree spot attachement, but found very few comments/discussions about this meter.

- Is it a good option? - Are there limitations I should be aware of?

Thank you in advance,

Best regards, Bernard

I use the 508 and love it, it will do incident and give me a variable spot.

Beverly Hills, California

Ideally, you need both types (eventually) - spot and incident.

Because of your cost concerns, I would start with the Sekonic L-358 incident off an EBay store., or B&H. Later, you an get a spot meter.

Most people here will say otherwise - to get the spot first because landscape is you goal, etc.

My vote for spot meter is the Minolta Spot F.

If you intend to get the spotmeter attachment IMHO avoid the 358. The 558 is about the small amount of money that the 358 and attachment would cost. OTOH it's got more low light ability. The 558 will give you everything the 358 and the attachment would and a little more.

I have the Pentax digital and point it at a grey card when I get confused. It's analog dials are perfect for considering alternate aperture/speed settings and making filter factor adjustments.

Octogenarian

Hi Bernard,

For the type of photography you say that you are going to do, the Pentax digital spotmeter is an excellent choice. If you believe that you will be doing studio work with flash sometime in the future, the Minolta Spotmeter F would be a better choice. An incident meter, with a spot attachment, is a compromise, and doesn't necessarily offer the best of both types of meters.

Bernard, Last fall I purchased the 358 for the exact reasons you mentioned. I purchased the 1 degree spot attachment a couple weeks ago and am pleased with the results so far.

I will say that changing from the incident to the spot attachment may be somewhat annoying to some, but to me its not that big of a deal. When I go out with the LF I will generally only use the spot attachment.

I like to have the incident/flash features for other shooting. the second iso setting and cumulative flash mode is a big plus and is not offered on the Minolta meter of comparable price range.

All in all a great little meter for starters and expandable in the future IMHO.

Mike

I will add to my post above by saying that if you want both incident and spot capability right now that the 558 is only about $80US more than purchasing the 358+1 degree spot attachment.

Further to Eugene Singer's post, what is the downside, if any, to buying a meter, such as the Sekonic L-558, with both incident and spot capabilities? Why is it a compromise and what do you lose in capability?

Octogenarian

Geoff,

There is no downside to purchasing the Seconic L-558, except that it may prove to be more meter than you really need. The L-558 has both incident and spot capabilities already built in. There is no compromise and you gain the versitility and convenience of having everything in one compact package. However, do you really need all of those expensive features?

I was referring to the concept of buying the Seconic 358 and then adding the spot metering attachment. From my previous experience with the Gossen Luna Star F, the addition of the spot metering attachment was an expensive way to provide spot metering capability to an incident meter. Besides, it only allowed for 5 degree spot metering. Eventually, I ended up selling the Gossen and purchasing a Minolta Spotmeter F. When I felt that I no longer needed the flash metering capability of the Minolta F, I purchased a Pentax Digital spotmeter, which I now find to be ideal for outdoor use.

There are several good previously owned spot meters out there. Check www.keh.com and www.mpex.com. You may get the opportunity to buy my Minolta Spotmeter F from Midwest. I just sold it to Jim.