Thread: Darlot Cone Centralisateur sizes?

Darlot Cone Centralisateur sizes?

I recently got my hands on a Cone Centralisateur, an older type with the actual black cone on the back. It seems to cover 8x10 quite easily.
    I was wondering if there's a catalog listing the different sizes the older cone type (Two knob) lens was available, as I'm having trouble figuring which exact lens it is and it's aperture.
    The focal length seems to be about 15 inch, hood diameter is about 11.5cm, the diameter of the mid of the lens is 10cm. Has a knob to lock up the inner barrel, a rack and pinion, central stop etc.
    The lens height is about 21cm with the inner tube compacted, extended it ends up being about 24cm.
    The lens is from 1863, going by the markings on the glass.

Any idea?

Re: Darlot Cone Centralisateur sizes?

There are quite a few variations - even in the period with Jamin, Jamin-Darlot etc. periods

But yours sounds like the standard type, where the front half can be used easily as Landscape lens - with the "central" stop. Sizes are difficult to classify in modern terms as they were made for various sized popular studio portrait sizes at that time. And coverage for the landscape variation is much bigger than for portrait mode.

I have only had them up to 18cm in length, which I think is about the commonest size.
    I am sure there must be lot of images/sizes in previous threads?

Congratulations on an iconic lens. I remember when these were very much in demand about 6-7 years ago. They seem to be sleepers now for some reason. But they are very good lenses, and were considered so in the early days too. Picture from a day when me and a friend both found one each.

One of the collector in China have a set.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7512.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	114519

My Jamin Cone Centralisateur is 18cm tall, early version without Darlot name. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9573.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	114520

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    Congratulations on an iconic lens. I remember when these were very much in demand about 6-7 years ago. They seem to be sleepers now for some reason. But they are very good lenses, and were considered so in the early days too. Picture from a day when me and a friend both found one each.

A couple of good looking fellas there. The young one on the right just has the edge tho....

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    I like you way of showing these...

Me? I am sille so I can only do it my way and the "classic" way... (see images..)(you decide which is which.. )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cone.jpg   cone2.jpg  

Ah Gandolfi, I wouldn't expect any less fom you!

John