Thread: Just getting started in St. Paul, MN

Just getting started in St. Paul, MN

I've been using 35mm film cameras since I was young (I'm still feeling pretty young at 35,though). I also went digital about 4 years ago. I make pictures daily, but my main role in life currently is that of a stay at home father of two.

I've always been allured by the movements and image quality available in large format, but have committed myself to learning just recently. The thing that finally pushed me into it was meeting a friend who turned me onto wet plate collodion. I love that the stunning end result is available more or less immediately. Since the image size is tied to the format, it necessitates the move to large format.

I've spent the last several months learning as much as I can from books and online sources about view camera techniques and camera/lens options. I'm sure there is much more to learn, but I think I'm at the point where I need a camera to progress more. So, time for 4x5 shopping!

I'm very glad that this forum and it's community exist. The wealth of information here is astounding (and slightly overwhelming). Thanks.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: Just getting started in St. Paul, MN

Welcome to the forum! There's lots of good choices for cheap 4x5 cameras that perform very well. Are you going to start with wet plate, or are you going to start with film?
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

I'm undecided, but am leaning towards shooting film for a bit first. I don't have darkroom access, so it would all be handed over after shooting. It makes sense to learn the basic camera techniques before introducing more complexity.

As for cameras, next Monday I'm going to go thoroughly inspect a graphic view with an Ilex Paragon 7 1/2" f4.5 lens included. If all is in good condition and the price is right, I see no reason it wouldn't be a serviceable starter for both film and wet plate.

Welcome!
    A bathroom makes a good dark room for loading holders, developing film and printing.
    You'll come to appreciate the convenience when you get so old that family members think they have to spike you're breakfast cereal with fiber.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by CB33 View Post
    I don't have darkroom access, so it would all be handed over after shooting.
    If you have a bathroom, you have a darkroom.

I don't have a darkroom either, I just wait until everyone goes to bed then I darken the windows and put out my chemistry.

By morning, everything is put away and the negatives are dry.

I like it. If one wants to do something enough, a way will be found.