Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: DPL users/owners of Howtek/Aztek scanners

Re: DPL users/owners of Howtek/Aztek scanners

Tyler,

You probably know this already, but the F702 error indicates a drum speed error.

http://www.aztek.com/Howtek%20Pages/F&Q%20.html

Q. What causes F702 errors?

This error normally indicates a drum speed error. Check the drum drive belt for damage or excessive wear. The drive belt is a consumable item and there should always be a spare belt on site. After removing the belt, check the pulleys for any debris before installing the replacement belt.

If replacing the belt does not solve the problem, a service call is likely to be necessary.

In addition to checking the belt and pulleys for debris you might also consider lubing the lead screw as if dry it might cause a wobble. I would suggest pulling out and reinstalling every single card, board, tube, and bulb in the scanner, including the photo multipliers and FOVI, and replacing the SCSI cable and/or the SCSI card in your computer and on the scanner.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Hi Sandy, yes I've gone through all that multiple times now. I have not yet replaced scsi cable or card, I probably will, but I've yet to see any report that that solved issues here or elsewhere. Someone on the high end scanner list suggested replacing all the caps on the power supply board which sounds like a logical thing to do, given my experience with them in hifi and music gear, but then, again, I've seen no report that it solved a problem anywhere. I'll keep at it, thanks for your reply

Having searched everywhere I cannot find definitive info on the type of grease needed for the ballscrew of my Howtek D4500. I can see from the Aztek site that it is Kluber Topas but not sure of the type as they do several different ones.
    The only mention on this thread is from a guy offering some Topas NCA52
    Anyone know?

thanks ...Sweep

Tyler,

This is what mine required to get her working again.

55796152844__C8B5B34D-C46C-42B7-86EB-DEB4B3C40FA2 by Ethan Fiorito-Gross, on Flickr

Mine was having very erratic drum speed issues, sometimes stopping and throwing 702 errors, other times making it the whole way through a scan. Couldn't keep a constant drum speed.

Decided to take everything apart completely, every connector and every board (except the board for the tubes).

The smallest board at the top definitely has something to do with the the drum rotation control. I think this board is the SSC. The connections to the larger board (I think the SSD) seemed very loose, as if the plugs weren't seated properly. After pulling out every single plug and board, I noticed this small white riser on the top board that sits between the SSC and the SSD. You can see this in the following photo. The SSC plugs into the two connections circled in red, and is screwed into the white riser also in the circle. Because it's screwed in, it seems to lift up the other connection.

55796032273__E6D70BF8-521E-42DA-909C-E4A227E0E3BE by Ethan Fiorito-Gross, on Flickr

After removing this riser, the SSC now seats much nicer onto the SSD.
    All these steps fixed mine, although I can't be 100% sure that this was actually the source of the problem. Worth a shot to see if this has any effect on yours. Free fixes are always the best!

Ethan

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Boley View Post
    Hi Sandy, yes I've gone through all that multiple times now. I have not yet replaced scsi cable or card, I probably will, but I've yet to see any report that that solved issues here or elsewhere. Someone on the high end scanner list suggested replacing all the caps on the power supply board which sounds like a logical thing to do, given my experience with them in hifi and music gear, but then, again, I've seen no report that it solved a problem anywhere. I'll keep at it, thanks for your reply

thank you so much Ethan! I will definitely try this. Yes the frustration is always the uncertainty of whether or not the real problem was solved or simply jiggled into place for a bit. Thanks again.

thank you so much Ethan! I will definitely try this. Yes the frustration is always the uncertainty of whether or not the real problem was solved or simply jiggled into place for a bit. Thanks again.
    After seeing all these posts, I am beginning to wonder when my turn will come to face these issues. Does any body have or access to circuit diagrams to these boards. It may be easier to trouble shoot then going at it blindly. I am sure Aztec will have them , would they part with them, probably not, any thoughts on this.

no idea about schematics, and frankly they would only baffle me. I was a service manager for a hi fi manufacturer decades ago, one product used circuit board connectors like this. The vast majority of repairs had to do with those connectors, even if it was just cleaning them and reassembling like we all do with these. Considering what fine machines these are and how long some of us keep them going, I think the one assembly weakness in them is these connectors. Mine is apart now and we'll see how it goes, seeing these things in pieces is always disturbing...

no idea about schematics, and frankly they would only baffle me. I was a service manager for a hi fi manufacturer decades ago, one product used circuit board connectors like this. The vast majority of repairs had to do with those connectors, even if it was just cleaning them and reassembling like we all do with these. Considering what fine machines these are and how long some of us keep them going, I think the one assembly weakness in them is these connectors. Mine is apart now and we'll see how it goes, seeing these things in pieces is always disturbing...
    Apparently most of what Aztek does for their preventative maintenance is replacing those connectors.

Ethan

... Mine is apart now and we'll see how it goes, seeing these things in pieces is always disturbing...
    As was suggested over on the ScanHi-End group from your cross post there, I also think there could be electrolytics that are either failed or getting close to failed. Now that you have your machine open it would be a good idea to look at each electrolytic cap for any telltale bulging or leakage. Also while you have it open, it would be worth checking the battery on the main board. It's a weird 3.6v battery that could be either soldered in or in a pressure-type battery holder clip (depending on whether your 4500 is an earlier or later model). When I first got my refurbished 4500 I had to replace this battery as it had started to leak. Aztek has them if needed. Anyway, you were probably going to do the above anyway...just thought it worth mentioning.

well, square one still... seems to get stuck on "calibrating... check lumens" then goes to a 702 error. I've reseated all boards, including the small ssc board on the top board. I did not remove it's spacer post per Ethan, but cleaned connectors. I'd prefer to actually shorten that post instead of removing it, but figured just insuring good connections there for now would be OK. Electrolytics all look good (not totally meaningful), removed battery, cleaned it and it's seating connections, measure it, put it back in.
    I think index adjustment may be next. See post #154 of this thread. But I'm burnt out on this for a while, will get to that next.