Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: DPL users/owners of Howtek/Aztek scanners

Re: DPL users/owners of Howtek/Aztek scanners

does anyone have a copy of the 4500 service manual? Both copies I have are from the same original, with the bottom half of the page for 6.2 Index adjustment, blacked out from a bad copy machine or something. Even the one page, or the actual instructions wold help. Of course it's the one page I need now!
    Thanks,
    Tyler

I was having an intermittent problem with banding in red channel. It would cure itself eventually (well, I did various things like changing bulbs, cleaning and greasing the rails and lead screw, etc., but none of the things seemed to really touch the core of the problem), only to come back a few months later. I got banding again a few weeks back and this time it was also in green channel and none of the "fixes" worked this time. I decided that it was high time to open the scanner and clean the contacts. Everything went well and I also changed the battery on the motherboard that had leaked (I was getting the checksum error on cold starts of the scanner), luckily no soldering was needed to replace the battery. I also didn't reinstall the IEC board. Scanner now seems happy.

While am at it I would also like to clean the optical box, change the PMTs (I have a few spares) and then align the optical path in the hope of improving the noise in the scans. How do you clean the aperture wheel? Thinking that if there is even the smallest amount of dirt or corrosion on the apertures it would have a big effect on noise. I'm afraid to touch the mirror or dichroic filters, but any tips or success stories of cleaning them are welcome. Anything else I should watch for? Special tools (I'm still waiting to get the 0.05" hex key that you need to remove the optical fibre)?

Hi all, I’m about to take delivery of a howtek 4500. Does the scanner require profiling? I’m planning to use the silverfast software that comes with the scanner but plan to upgrade to DPL software later. Regards Dean

Dean, if you want, you can profile for transparencies using an IT8 target, but it's not really possible to profile for negatives. Silverfast is decent, but yeah, I love DPL, especially for negs.

CB

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Barrett View Post
    Dean, if you want, you can profile for transparencies using an IT8 target, but it's not really possible to profile for negatives. Silverfast is decent, but yeah, I love DPL, especially for negs.

CB

Thanks Chris

Hi Chris, why do you like DPL so much better than Silverfast?

Hi all, Im about to take delivery into Australia of a Howtek 4500 ive bought from the Michael at Scan Solutions (who has been incredible). Im also thinking of upgrading to DPL at some stage (the scanner is coming with Silverfast 6.6 and a small work station) but as ive always been a Mac guy running a PC is sort of freaking me out . Thus as im also wanting to upgrade to a desktop computer for photoshop imaging work and the I was wondering if anyone has is running DPL on a MODERN Mac Pro (5,1 and above) with using virtual PC as well as using the same computer to scan on the Howek? (rather than having a PC for the scanner and a Mac for the PS imaging work) if so how does it interface? and is it even possible considering the 4500 uses SCSI ?? thanks for any advise regards Dean

Hi Dean,
    I also acquired my Howtek 4500 from Michael and like you found the experience to be first class all the way.

I use both PC and macOS (running in VMWare on my imaging workstation Windows 10 PC), but I'm mostly a PC guy so I'm running my 4500 with DPL 8.1 running on a separate dedicated Windows 10 machine with a 29160N SCSI card.

Although I can't offer any direct experience with your idea of running the 4500 from Windows 10 running as a VM under macOS, I am doubtful that it would work. The problem as I see it is that SCSI support on current macOS no longer exists, and you would need it to work first on the mac before it could ever work on a VM running Windows 10.

Trust me...if you really want to use DPL you will have far fewer headaches just learning to use a standalone PC for scanning purposes than in trying to make SCSI work on the mac and then on the Windows VM. There's no reason to fear a PC....it's just another operating system.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Wilmot View Post
    Hi all, Im about to take delivery into Australia of a Howtek 4500 ive bought from the Michael at Scan Solutions (who has been incredible). Im also thinking of upgrading to DPL at some stage (the scanner is coming with Silverfast 6.6 and a small work station) but as ive always been a Mac guy running a PC is sort of freaking me out . Thus as im also wanting to upgrade to a desktop computer for photoshop imaging work and the I was wondering if anyone has is running DPL on a MODERN Mac Pro (5,1 and above) with using virtual PC as well as using the same computer to scan on the Howek? (rather than having a PC for the scanner and a Mac for the PS imaging work) if so how does it interface? and is it even possible considering the 4500 uses SCSI ?? thanks for any advise regards Dean
    Dean,

Congratulations on your purchase of Howtek 4500. The 4500 is a very capable drum scanner and with good support you should be able to use it for many years to to come. I am currently operating a Howtek 7500 with a G4 tower with Acard SCSI card and Silverfast 6.6. and OS 10.3.6.

If the 4500 comes with a MAC work station with Silverfast 6.6 recommend that you use the MAC as long as possible. Silverfast 6.6 is a very capable application for scanning with the 4500, so if you are already familiar with MAC OS 10.3.6 or 10.4 and have a MAC computer capable of running the scanner you have very little to gain in upgrading to DPL. In fact, in most respects Silverfast 6.6 is every bit as good as DPL, and in some cases superior so the only real reason to upgrade would be, 1) if you want to use a PC, or 2) you don't have access to a MAC that with SCSI that will run OS 10.3.6 or 10.4.

Scanning is very time intensive operation and in my experience it is better to use a dedicated computer for the task, and then transfer the files to your main computer for processing. For example, scanning a 4X5 negative or transparency in RGB at 4000 ppi is likely to take more than 45 minutes for the scan, and the time is determined by the scanner itself, not processing speed of your computer. In my case I use the old G4 towers for scanning, and then transfer the files to my newer MAC PRO devices for image processing. Works nicely if you have a port for Thunderbolt or USB2 in the older tower.

It may be possible to run a DPL with a MAC Pro with virtual PC with some version of Windows that support your SCSI adaptor, but unless you have specific guidance finding out how to do so is almost sure to be fairly complicated.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon