Thread: 4x5 Film Management for a Paint Can Pinhole Camera

4x5 Film Management for a Paint Can Pinhole Camera

I am starting to dabble in 4x5 photography using a Merlin Paint Can Pinhole Camera. I have to open the paint can and remove each individual frame as it is shot - am I correct to assume if I unload it in a changing bag and put it back in the box itself it will be lightproof - or do I need to get some sort of light proof bag to go inside of it as well? The film will obviously come in a lightproof bag, but I am going to need that to hold onto the original film that is not shot yet.

Basically I'm trying to find the easiest and safest way to travel with my film so I can take it to my photo finisher for development. I dont want to spend money on the film and ruin it.

Star,

An inner bag is a good idea. You can get them from Freestyle new or recycle an old one. Check out labs in your area or see if you can talk the photography instructor at your local high school or college out of one. Put some gaffer's tape on it so you can tell by feel which is the exposed film bag apart from your unexposed film. Good luck!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

The film will obviously come in a lightproof bag

You didn't mention what specific film you are using, but don't assume that the inner bag or envelope that sheet film comes in is lightproof. Look closely at the outer box before openning it in daylight--it usually says to only open in total darkness.

I always keep unexposed film in its bag. It probably does provide some added protection against light leaks, although sheet film boxes are pretty much light-tight if in good repair.

I don't use the bags for exposed film, just put them into a box and protect that box from really bright light (i.e., direct sun) and keep it in a bag or otherwise buried in the dark until it's time to process. Never ruined a picture that way, never needed to as there are so many other ways to mess up with LF...