Thread: Help Obi-wan- I've been seduced by the dark slide.

Help Obi-wan- I've been seduced by the dark slide.

Greetings all.

After 3 tries, ( fogged film during loading holder into camera, fogging in darkroom, and finally finding stuck clip in the polaroid holder) I finally produced a recognizable image with my 4x5 camera. Although not a technically good photo, I guess this is my first step in the journey toward one day understanding the power of the dark slide.

Anyway, I'm not comfortable using a loupe. Since I already wear glasses, grampa's reading glasses are out. Has anyone used the magnifiers that attach to your glasses in lieu of the loupe?

Thanks Eric
    Dad, why is the lens cap on?

I bought a Mamiya 4x for $59 two weeks ago. It is adjustable for different vision. I use it in without glasses and out all the way for the distance segment of my bifocals. I am -2 diopter and so old there is no accomodation left. One could grind of some skirt if you need to get closser or add an O-ring to stand off further.

Drug store reading glasses, +3, let me get really close under the dark cloth.

Anybody need an unadjustable Toyo, 4x.

The flip-up glasses seem to work fine over my bi-fokals (on Technika and Crown with Fresnels).
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I take off my bifocals before going under the cloth and using the loupe. Yeah, it's a drag.

>Anybody need an unadjustable Toyo, 4x.

Actually yes, I could use one. My cheap-o 5$ plastic 8x loupe is driving me nuts these days...

Are you looking to sell it?

-j

My answer is also drugstore reading glasses. I do take them off to use a loupe, however. It is useful to have myManfrotto cloth accessory holder strung between my tripod legs to hold regular glasses and reading glasses as I take them on and off. I wear the loupe on a strap around my neck. The accessory holder is also good for things like lens caps, levels and unscrewed cable releases. It provides three separate relatively deep pockets to stash things in.

Among the focusing aids I've tried, is a clip-on loupe; the kind that clips to the stem of my glasses. It has two lenses that swivel in/out of view, giving 5X or 10X. It works OK but is a pain to keep focused as you need to move your head forward and back until it snaps into focus. Worked fine though.

Probably no more cumbersome to use than what I do now, which includes my regular glasses to inspect the scene, then reading glasses to set up the camera, make adjustments and coarse focus, then a loupe (with no glasses) for fine focus. After focusing, it's back to the reading glasses so I can read the meter and the shutter/stop scales on the camera, then maybe the loupe again to recheck focus when stopped down. I must be a riot to watch, but no worries as I know most onlookers already think I'm nuts for using an "antique" (Tachihara!) camera....