Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinion: Satori EXP for 8x10

Opinion: Satori EXP for 8x10

A Richard Ritter is on the way to my front door.

My B&J has never come close to folding so I have always just lugged it around by the strap.

Any opinions on this bag? I watched a video by Ben Horne regarding this bag but later noticed they soonest his work and channel on YT.

Looking for more of an honest, real user experience and opinion.

If you don't like this bag I'm open to more opinions on other brands.

Re: Opinion: Satori EXP for 8x10

These f/stop bags are really nice, but not designed for LF. I am sure that you could rig it to work, but these bags are designed for hauling hand held gear along with expedition gear of various sorts like ski and avalanche gear or climbing gear. They are very well made and well designed for what they are intended for. For strictly day hiking with you LF your dollar might go further with another brand.

I'm struggling with finding brands. Seems everyone points to f/64 bags but they don't look very ergonomic. They just seem like a HUGE camera bag with a thousands dividers you need to rip out.

The larger f64 backpack fits my Ritter 8x10 like a glove. I just wrap the camera with my dark cloth and slot it in the larger compartment.

Quote Originally Posted by angusparker View Post
    The larger f64 backpack fits my Ritter 8x10 like a glove. I just wrap the camera with my dark cloth and slot it in the larger compartment.
    Does it hold everything you need besides the Ritter?

I have not used the Satori, but I own and use the Tilopa BC on a daily basis to haul 25 to 30 lbs. of camera gear. This is an awesome bag (and will soon buy an additional bag). You choose which ICU you want when you purchase the bag. And the ICU's are totally configurable, so do not favor one format over another. The XL Pro ICU is 19 x 11.5 x 7 so should easily accomodate an 8x10 plus plenty of other gear. These bags are designed (by adventure photographers) to #1) carry great in the backcountry, and #2 protect a wide variety of gear. So way better than better than any other bag I have owned (and I have a closet full of bags that I bought that were awful). But the best feature is the gear section opens from the back panel. So when you put the pack down in snow, dirt, or mud, the back panel stays clean (unlike virtually every other backpack out there). No more putting a wet/dirty pack back on your back...

Quote Originally Posted by dodphotography View Post
    Does it hold everything you need besides the Ritter?
    Top compartment handles 3-4 lenses since I use the Sinar to Horseman adapter and also my light meter and filters etc. Back compartment can house 1 film holder, possibly 2. So the real limitation is the film holders. Tripod can be strapped on or hand carried depending on which one I am using.

Bear in mind that the Ritter is deeper and a little higher than some other 8x10 even though it weighs a lot less, so not all packs that handle 8x10s will handle a Ritter.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

I use an old MEI pack for my 8x10, 11x14 and 8x20. What pack can do that! Three different packs for three systems and they fit me great. Now the 14x17.... well it has its own portage pack. I love the MEI packs because you can get them cheap on the bay and they don't have all of the weight and padding. You add your own as needed.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I don't know about the Satori as I have never owned (or heard of) it. This is the pack that I settled for in December to day-hike with a Toyo 810M-II:

The lens on the right is a 360mm Schneider Symmar-S ( a gigantic lens weighing in at ~3lbs) and the one on the left is the 240mm version. You can pack the meter and cleaning kit in a pocket on the pack's top instead where shown and put another lens there. All lens are mounted on 158mm lens-boards. I place the focusing cloth and compendium hood on top of the camera and other incidentals such as cable release, lens wrench, hex key...etc., fit in inside pockets. As you can see, the camera, lens, and other contents are well protected.

I carry the film holders (5, each stored in 2.5 gallon zip lock bags) packed in the black MC padded case which slides in the packs outside pocket, as shown below, and the tripod (Gitzo G1349) in one of the 3 available tripod slots:

Here's the pack closed with all the above inside:

The Pack is the Lowepro 600 AW Pro Trekker. The Toyo MII is a all metal field camera which weighs 15 lbs without a lens attached and the camera will fold with a lens installed on the front standard but not with the 360 Symmar-S lens. Depending on the dimensions of your camera, you may be able to get it into a Lowepro 400 AW Pro Trekker which I believe is carry-on but I have not yet flown with my 400 AW Trekker.

Thomas