Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speed Graphic with 30cm Heliar

Re: Speed Graphic with 30cm Heliar

If the camera has a regular spring back, the bag mags won't work on it (they fit a Graflex back). The Grafmatic works a lot better on a Graflok back, but you can usually squeeze them under a spring back. That said, if the bag mags are in good shape (meaning the septums are all there and straight, leather is good), they're worth about $50 to $80 each... Anniversary Speeds are getting kind of hard to find in nice shape...most of the ones for sale right now are pretty beat, or way over priced.

The regular Heliar has a very slight glow wide open, surrounding crisp sharpness. The glow goes away quickly as you stop down, but the photos retain a lovely plasticity. I sold mine (300/4.5, barrel) last year for $350, getting a good price for it fast, and have come to think that I made a huge mistake.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Just picked up the camera. Its a nice set up, the lens is quite impressive looking mounted on the camera. This is my first speed graphic, so there's going to be a bit of a learning curve to figure out how to operate the shutter, without fear of breaking it.
    Thanks to all for the advice.

I'll trade you a 127 Ektar which is what should go on that camera for that old helliar....

Just kidding, congrats! I love my Anniversary, my first 4x5.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by RTucker View Post
    Just picked up the camera. Its a nice set up, the lens is quite impressive looking mounted on the camera. This is my first speed graphic, so there's going to be a bit of a learning curve to figure out how to operate the shutter, without fear of breaking it.
    Thanks to all for the advice.
    Great score. Congratulations.

You'll find the best collection of information, and probably an owner's manual at www.graflex.org

That is not a particularly busy site. If you ask a question, expect to wait a few days for an answer.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    Bottom line: it's well priced, you can buy it and make money reselling it, or use it as is.
    to me

if that 300 is in a compound shutter - I WANT IT

(assuming you don't)... I seriously doubt you will be able to focus at infintiy, much less portrait distance on a speed with that lens

I do have a cooke 12" tele that I could offer up that would work though

I have found out that there is two versions of the lens. The regular f4.5, and one called the Universal Heliar which is the soft focus lens
    Actually there are three.

-regular F4.5
    -rare F3.5
    -Universal Heliar F4.5

In addition, many of the later Heliars use the other Voigtländer lens design - the Dynar - even though they are called Heliars.

Guilherme Maranhão coisasdavida's Avatar

I can get a 300mm 4.5 Tessar focused around 2 meters with my Speed Graphic. You can see the lensboard has about 1 inch of thickness behind the flange. I'm afraid the picture doesn't show full extension.