Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spectrophotometer recommendation?

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Spectrophotometer recommendation?

I’m on my 3rd Epson 3880 (don’t ask). The previous ones matched each other, and matched the screen perfectly when using generic profiles. This one’s a bit off, but works perfectly well otherwise.

I’m thinking this means it’s time to make some custom profiles. I’m looking at the i1 pro series, probably an older generation. My budget is maybe $400.

Are there good choices in this price range? Any considerations or warnings? What about software?

Thanks for any and all tips.

Re: Spectrophotometer recommendation?

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    I’m on my 3rd Epson 3880 (don’t ask). The previous ones matched each other, and matched the screen perfectly when using generic profiles. This one’s a bit off, but works perfectly well otherwise.

I’m thinking this means it’s time to make some custom profiles. I’m looking at the i1 pro series, probably an older generation. My budget is maybe $400.

Are there good choices in this price range? Any considerations or warnings? What about software?

Thanks for any and all tips.
    I use an iOne Pro and am very pleased with the operation. You can use the Measure Tool, part of Profile Maker 5.0, to create profiles. Profile Maker does not work with MAC systems later than Tiger so I use it with an older MAC laptop. You can find directions for making profiles in the QuadToneRip folder, along with gray scale targets. I believe you can use it with Lion with software called Color Port but am not familiar with the software.

You should be able to buy an iOne for about $400. It originally came in a small suitcase with a number of accessories. You want to make sure that you get everything that came with the unit because X-Rite does not sell these items any longer. Ruler, for example.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Thanks Sandy.

Is ProfileMaker the only software that works with the i1 pro? Big drag if I need a dedicated computer to use the thing.

no I believe there are various price points available for i1Profiler, which will work on newer OSs. Check the xrite sight.

There are at least three other software packages that will work with the xrite i one Pro.

LaCie blue eye pro
    ColorEyes Display Pro
    BasICColor Display

The three I listed seem not to be favored generally, but as usual much of the unfavorability can be related to unfamiliarity. Don't know offhand what operating systems are functional for any of the above.

As of about a year and a half, the newer xrite i one Pro II is available and can be obtained as an upgrade from a registered i one Pro, but I've not taken advantage of that so don't know the cost.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

For me, the best profiles I've done with the old Monaco EZ Color (xrite)
    Xavier Deltell
    www.xavierdeltell.es

I have a Spyder Print. It works well. I use it for color profiles as well as making custom QTR profiles for BW prints. Measuring large targets is tedious, but I don't change papers very often.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Thanks Peter. I haven't seen Spyder Print before. Any thoughts on what compromises you make with this $350 system? I'm comparing to $1500+ systems from x-rite, or $400+ used x-rite systems.

My choice based on what I now know would be between:

-A used i1Pro (previous generation) for around $400, plus some as-yet-determined profiling software (free? Expensive? I don't know the software choices)

-A new Spyder print system, hardware and software package, for $290.

(Color Munki should probably be on the list, but I recall reading some middling reviews a while ago. And it's spelled "munki."

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    Thanks Peter. I haven't seen Spyder Print before. Any thoughts on what compromises you make with this $350 system? I'm comparing to $1500+ systems from x-rite, or $400+ used x-rite systems.

My choice based on what I now know would be between:

-A used i1Pro (previous generation) for around $400, plus some as-yet-determined profiling software (free? Expensive? I don't know the software choices)

-A new Spyder print system, hardware and software package, for $290.

(Color Munki should probably be on the list, but I recall reading some middling reviews a while ago. And it's spelled "munki."

For the iOne Pro the software is basically free since you can download Profile Maker for nothing, and you don't need a license to use the Measuring Tool. However, as I mentioned, this sofware only works with MAC through 10.6.8, but the method is well-documented.

For newer versions of MAC OS with the iOne you might check out this tutorial, which is based on Color Port.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...s/topics/10629

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Hi Paul,

I don't have any experience with the i1pro.

Here's a decent review of the spyder print: http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/r...der3print.html

I've been happy with mine.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know