Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: The hopeful future of film photography

LJ Segil

Re: The hopeful future of film photography

I went fully digital four years ago, and by two years ago was back to >90% film and much happier and more creative (though no more skilled) for having made the conversion back. And that is still without the additional advantages my own darkroom setup (building slowly) will offer. There is a whole world of photographic opportunities, options, and quality that digital can still not economically provide, and a level of pleasure and satisfaction in the act of creating an image that it may never offer (though it is mighty nice to have at least an idea that you have gotten the shot before it is forever gone).
    I do believe there will always (these days "always" lasts about a decade or so) be a "role" for film and the vast assortment of cameras that use it so well.
    Optimistically best wishes for the new year,
    LJS

I spent several hours on the the altphotos.com site yesterday....not only did I see some great work there; but there was MORE than a considerable amount that was shot with film...truly suprised but then not suprised at all....and my inner self tells me that these are a quite younger photo crowd than we would suspect using film...check it out for yourself
    Best, Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Wolff View Post
    "The hopeful future of film photography?" I'm not sure why we're having this discussion (again).
    We're having this discussion again because you resurected this three year old thread!

I think Carsten may have had a "Rip Van Winkle" moment.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Marshall View Post
    We're having this discussion again because you resurected this three year old thread!

Quote Originally Posted by peter schrager View Post
    I spent several hours on the the altphotos.com site yesterday....not only did I see some great work there; but there was MORE than a considerable amount that was shot with film...truly suprised but then not suprised at all....and my inner self tells me that these are a quite younger photo crowd than we would suspect using film...check it out for yourself
    Best, Peter
    After inspecting the info listed for 87 photos shown there: 27 were listed media as film, 40 listed as digital media, and 18 media unknown.

Don Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by Van Camper View Post
    More importantly you forgot to include reference to Format/ and quipment categories they list.
    That information wasn't available in many cases if at all.

Don Bryant

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

Take that digital image and try to blow it up the size of a 7 story Imax screen..

Take that D3 24.5 mp 16 bit Nikon image and try to print it

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Marshall View Post
    We're having this discussion again because you resurrected this three year old thread!
    I didn't see the date stamp... Sorry, everybody. Take what I said with a grain of salt anyway. I wouldn't be such an LF addict otherwise.
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."

LOL, a lot of film has gone dead in those three years.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Camper View Post
    Originally Posted by Ron Marshall
    "We're having this discussion again because you resurrected this three year old thread!"

Well, what is wrong with that. After 3 years and new digital outon mkt, it is time for an update.
    Absolutely. Photography is static neither as science nor art. On the first day of this thread in October 2004, Jorge Gasteazoro speculated that emulsion making would someday stop being a 'secret society'. That's happening. My website, www.thelightfarm.com is open source and growing all the time. Michael Smith and Paula Chamlee are making their wonderful 'Lodima' chloride printing paper (http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/index_skip.html), and Jim Browning (http://www.dyetransfer.org/) and Terry Holsinger on theunblinkingeye are working the problems.

Less and less do I see film and silver paper disappearing commercially. That trend, and the deplorable doom and gloom that reinforced it, is slowing as people realize they can make their own products if they wanted. With fear fading, more people seem willing to commit to the craft with all its rewards, and Ilford (among others) seems willing to promise to stay around.

The weather and the economy may be gloomy, but the future of photography couldn't be more optimistic and exciting. There's even the bright note that making your own silver gelatin paper is a whole lot cheaper than buying the homogeneous high-end baryta inkjet papers and their inks. Now, shopping for that stuff can get depressing!

Happy Photo'ing and New Year to All.
    Denise