Thread: Processing Costs and Labs in VA

Processing Costs and Labs in VA

Hi everyone,

I recently made the move to large format with a Toyo 4x5CF, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm shooting mostly with a 6x9 back, and also some BW sheets, which I'm developing myself after discovering how easy it was. I've taken a few shots on Velvia sheets, and I'm having trouble finding a place to get them developed.

My local lab sends slides out to another lab, and they initially said they'd process each sheet at $5.00, and then after a week they sent the film back undeveloped, having changed their minds. Now I'm hearing my only choice is sending each sheet out mail-order at $8 per sheet plus $7 per sheet shipping. This seems ridiculous to me.

Short of converting my basement to a real darkroom and investing in the necessary E-6 equipment (very tempting, although I know it's a pain), anybody know of any options in Northern Virginia? I'm in Winchester, and the only significant lab I know of is Ace Photo in Sterling, and they don't do sheet film. Or, does anyone know of a reliable mail-order lab that won't cost an arm and a leg? The thought of my film sitting in the back of hot mail trucks for days doesn't appeal to me, but it's better than nothing.

Thanks,

EZB

There is a good color lab in Arlington, Arlington color I think is the name if I remember correctly. Also a good B&W only lab in the same building. There is one B&W lab in Alexandria. There are a whole bunch of top quality labs in DC. The one that I used to use when I lived there was Chrome in Georgetown. My memory is that you should pay about $2 per sheet for developing 4x5 E6.

http://www.e6slidefilmprocessing.com/

That's the place!

Although, IMO, if Georgetown is not too much mor einconvenient for you Chrome is a more responsible lab.

Photo Dilettante Donald Brewster's Avatar

Chrome in Georgetown is the best lab in the DC area IMHO. In Northern Virginia try the Positive Image lab in Tyson's Corner area. They do 4x5 and 8x10 processing. It is a Kodak Q-lab. I had very good experiences with them. Check out the wesite: http://www.positiveimage.net/index.htm

Ted's thinking of Capitol Color. Black and White is in the same building. I think the area is Crystal City.

I've used the national geographic lab with great success when I was stuck in DC for my day job. At that point I didn't even want to try and get the exposed film onto a plane leaving from dulles or national. http://www.nationalgeographic.com/labs/

ABC in Manassas is a Q Lab and does sheets.

If you don't mind crossing the Potomac, Photography Center of Bethesda (www.photographycenter.com) does E6 4x5s at up to 4 for $8 (they do them in batches of 4, so anything less than 4 gets the $8 rate). IIRC, if you get them in by 11:00 M-F, they'll have them back by 5:00, as long as you don't have a whole bunch. They're a mile or two in towards the city from the Wisconsin Ave. exit of the Beltway.

Cheers! Bill

I use & recommend Positive Image, located in Tyson's Corner, VA. They do an excellent job with a great turnaround time and the pricing is very reasonable. They are located on Boone Blvd., right off of Gallows Road, one block behind Leesburg Pike (route 7).