Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What LF camera? Rangefinderviewfield?

Analog truth. Digtal Lies.

What LF camera? Rangefinderviewfield?

Let a beginner ask a question about a camera choice.

Today, I'm using a Leica M and Canon EOS equipment, will skip medium format and go straight to 4x5" for landscape photography.

I saw that there were/are 'hybrid' cameras like some Linhof Technikas and Graflex reporter cameras that are basically field cameras and, if necessary, can be used handheld and do not always require a loupe to focus as some models have a rangefinder with coupled lenses.

I like this concept very much because there are situations when I need the quality of a large format but have good light, a simple image to take and no time because the situation might change. In other cases I will use a tripod and take my time.

What cameras would you recommend for these two ways of working?

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

You've answered your own question already - a Linhof Technika will do. They tend to be expensive or very old, but they're great cameras.

The Technika is a wonderful camera, but it is heavy and clumsy to hand-hold. I'd suggest that you start with a clean Crown Graphic or Busch Pressman D. Depreciation is near zero, and after six months you can decide if you want/need a Technika.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Dear Clemens,

I would like to second the Crown Graphic. It's actually quite handy as a "walking around" camera (or at least as handy as a 4x5 can be). You can add, but won't necessarily need a Grafmatic six shot back. Check out www.graflex.org.

You are comparing a Model T antique to a modern Formula One race car. Each of these two cameras was designed for a very different purpose.

During my career I have owned two Technikas. Superbly crafted machines. Absolutely no expense spared in design nor assembly.

A Technika has enough movements to just barely compete with a field camera if you have lots of time and patience. They are heavy to carry around. I had a good laugh, the first time I tried the supplied neck strap!

The price is up there with the Leicas. My first one in 1970 was about $900. Today, with a lens, viewfinder and grip you are talking more like $10,000. Walking around the ghetto with one of these is like having Paris Hilton nude at your side while trying not to attract too much attention.

On the other hand, a Crown or Speed Graphic was originally built as the least expensive way to do hand-held photojournalism. Most models are constructed of imitation leather over plywood, with virtually no useful movements except a slightly rising front. To put it bluntly, they are crude.

They were built to take a great deal of abuse, and most now offered for sale have received a lot of it since they were new, many years ago.

If you plan to do some architecture, enjoy beautiful equipment and have deep pockets, go with the Linhof.

If you plan to shoot people pictures off the back end of an open, mud-splattered Jeep in the rain, perhaps a Crown Graphic will be your cup of tea. But beware, some of these are in pretty bad condition these days.

A Technika is more versatile as a view camera than a Graphic and can be cammed for many lenses, but it's also heavier to hand hold than a Graphic and considerably more expensive. There is a pretty good description of the various Technika models at www.cameraquest.com, and graflex.org will tell you all you need to know about the Graphics, Graflex reflex cameras, and a few related press cameras like the Busch Pressman.

PS--if you're on a budget, you could get a Sinar Alpina or F or F1 monorail *and* a Crown Graphic with a rangefinder coupled lens for very little money these days.

John Cook, your description of a Crown/Speed Graphic is misleading -- it would appear that you've never actually owned/used one.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Just one more tidbit (besides the Paris Hilton remark) about the image you portray with various equipment.

As a starving student in art school in 1968, I was walking with my Technika along Sunset Boulevard very early one morning. Suddenly a Rolls Royce pulled up and Andy Williams got out and posed by the front fender for me.

Mr. Williams clearly thought I must be some important photojournalist with that big, expensive camera.

Years later, I found myself shooting for an ad agency in a large factory. The corporation employed a full-time in-house industrial photographer who assisted the art director and me on the shoot.

While under the dark cloth, I overheard the art director ask the in-house photographer if he thought that I was any good.

The photographer replied that I must know what I was doing. I was using a Linhof!

I would not describe a Crown as a crude camera. Mine is 50 years old, everything works and works smoothly. It is very well made. The available front rise is more than slight, and once you learn how to do it you can tilt the front too. The imitation leather is actually real leather. It is not difficult to find one that has not been abused and they are reasonably priced. I think a Crown certainly fills one of your needs quite adequately, and may be sufficient for the second as well. Modern smaller plasmats (like the 135 Schneider Symmar-S I use on mine) fold up inside the camera and handheld results can be outstanding with enough light. It does have some drawbacks as a tripod mounted field camera, but these are unlikely in many or most circumstances (depends on what you do, of course) to prevent you from accomplishing what you want. The Busch pressman (aka the Tower press camera as sold by Sears) is also well made, and has a revolving back and easier movements. Its main drawbacks are the harder to find lens boards and the relatively small size of the front bellows opening. Some common LF lenses have rear elements too big for the opening.