Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Suggestion for drying cabinet heater

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: Suggestion for drying cabinet heater

Like John Olsen above, I use a ladies garment bag (about $6 at Walmart) for air drying 120, 4x5 and 8x10 negatives. Takes about 4 hours in my closet and I have never had a problem with dust as the bag zips closed to prevent dust from settling on the film. Unless I cut the roll in half, which I never do, 135 is too long for the garment bag so I hang it from the grill of the ceiling heater in the bathroom and then close the door. Never had a dust problem even though I squeeze by to use the bathroom. Takes about 4 hours to dry and I can hang 5 rolls from the grill. I can speed up drying by placing a fan in the closet to circulate air out and into the bedroom or by placing the sheets in my Arkay CD-10 film dryer. But I seldom need to do that and usually use the dryer for overflows that the wardrobe can't handle.

Thomas

The commercial drying cabinets have a heater/blower at the top and a plastic zippered bag to enclose the film. The bag has holes on the bottom to vent the air, The blower onto has a filter on its input.

A gym locker usually has vents at the top and on the bottom. I would (and have seen) use one or two hair dryers for heat and air. The dryers usually have a 'cool' setting with no heat and a 'hot' setting with heat. If you are worried about dust, put something over the input vents to catch the dust- t-shirt material, paper face mask material. I have dried ten 36 ex. rolls of 35mm in ten minutes with no overheating.

just use a "hard service" incandescent bulb in one of those old style ceramic bases with a 2 prong extension. That bulb will not shatter if water gets on it. Works like a charm. Get it all at Home Depot or equivalent for just a few bucks.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

2 Bit Hack

There powered warps for pipes in colder climates. Not familiar with them but the idea might be useful.
    Regards

Marty