Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photographing interiors with Nikkor 90mm SW on 5x7...advice

Photographing interiors with Nikkor 90mm SW on 5x7...advice

Hello,
    It looks like I will get the chance to photograph some interiors on an upcoming trip. I'm bringing along a 5x7 camera. Should I try to make use of a Nikkor 90mm SW f/8, or stick to a 180mm Fujinon.

Larry

Les

Re: Photographing interiors with Nikkor 90mm SW on 5x7...advice

Larry, I thought 120mm was wide enough (24mm @35mm equiv)...though I'm new to 5x7. If the lens covers the 5x7 with some movements....then it would be worth trying IMO.

Les

Try using a viewing frame "in some interiors" to see for yourself.

I guess that question will depend on which lens you have and also the proportions of those spaces and interiors. The dimensions and depth influence the way you see your image.
    I think the idea of a 120 mm is a great idea. 90 mm ​​to 13x18 cm, equivalent to 18 mm in 35 mm format (perhaps be excessive).

The decision must be taken thinking that you have available lenses and few of them are willing to walk.

Will my choice? 120mm, 150 mm, and 210 mm (the three together in my bag)

Small town, South Carolina, US

It is worth trying for some situations. And maybe a necessity in others. A 120 would be more versatile. I suggest you do a set up inside a building and see for yourself (using the ground glass) what you will run into.
    Last edited by rfesk; 2-Apr-2014 at 04:00. Reason: Correction

Thanks for all the responses. My 125mm lens is a Fujinon W that barely covers 5x7. The Nikkor 90mm SW f/8 has a lot of coverage for 5x7 with its 235mm image circle. I really don't know the dimensions of the rooms I'll be trying to photograph, so it's a little hard to know which lenses to bring. I'm trying to avoid bringing every lens I own. ;-) I was going to go with 180, 240, 300, and 450, but now it seems like I need something towards the wider side.

Larry

Francesco, just curious, what 150mm are you using for 5x7? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco J. Fernández View Post
    I guess that question will depend on which lens you have and also the proportions of those spaces and interiors. The dimensions and depth influence the way you see your image.
    I think the idea of a 120 mm is a great idea. 90 mm ​​to 13x18 cm, equivalent to 18 mm in 35 mm format (perhaps be excessive).

The decision must be taken thinking that you have available lenses and few of them are willing to walk.

Will my choice? 120mm, 150 mm, and 210 mm (the three together in my bag)

The 90mm f8 SW Nikkor will cover 5x7 as the image circle with an spec'ed image circle of 235mm @f22, required IC about 210mm. Beyond this, more often than not, photographing interiors with a view camera will more often than not require a bag bellows to allow sufficient camera movement using a wide angle lens.

Better focal length choices could be:

110mm Symmar XL, 115mm Grandagon, 120mm Super Angulon and others.
    A 150mm wide angle also works well depending on the image needs.

Light fall off can be a problem, more significant with shorter focal lengths.

Normal lens for "normal perspective" images and the longer focal lengths work for isolating details.

In all cases, make sure to level the tripod, then level the camera before working on the composition. If the tripod is not level, making any rotational adjustments of the camera will alter it's position and cause frustration. Same with leveling the camera. Both of these basic steps will significantly reduce frustration and problem in the process.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Kellogg View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. My 125mm lens is a Fujinon W that barely covers 5x7. The Nikkor 90mm SW f/8 has a lot of coverage for 5x7 with its 235mm image circle. I really don't know the dimensions of the rooms I'll be trying to photograph, so it's a little hard to know which lenses to bring. I'm trying to avoid bringing every lens I own. ;-) I was going to go with 180, 240, 300, and 450, but now it seems like I need something towards the wider side.

Larry

A 90/8 Nikkor-SW was my 'normal' lens for photographing interiors for a long time... on 4x5. I also used a 75/4.5 Nikkor-SW; there were times when the wider lens was necessary (kitchens, bathrooms). If your camera will let you use movements with a 90, it will work just fine for your intended use. Just be careful where you place the camera... but that's always good advice, just like Bernice's advice above.

+90

90mm wide angle & bag bellows is a go-to set-up for interiors with 4x5. The angle of view is not excessive for interior images, the image circle with bag bellows allows plenty of camera movement making the best of working space allotted.

This focal length is a wide angle basic for 4x5.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    A 90/8 Nikkor-SW was my 'normal' lens for photographing interiors for a long time... on 4x5. I also used a 75/4.5 Nikkor-SW; there were times when the wider lens was necessary (kitchens, bathrooms). If your camera will let you use movements with a 90, it will work just fine for your intended use. Just be careful where you place the camera... but that's always good advice, just like Bernice's advice above.